Pre-1997 Models

Quick question about some rot

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question about some rot

I was under my truck to look at something today and noticed some rot. Since everything is caked with snow, it is hard to tell the extent. The truck is a 94 f150 supercab. The metal that is rotted is the part that the body mounts are bolted to just behind the front bumper, below the rad. Because of the snow...pictures would not have helped.
What I am looking to find out is if the metal that the mounts connect to can be replaced(is it bolted in?)??
The truck does not have large amounts of rust and this is the only bad rot that I've found. Never saw it when buying the truck. I will also add that the rot appears to outside of both front mounts but I'm sure the whole section will need to be addressed. The frame is solid with no rot...so I am hoping that I can simply replace a cross member or something of that nature...
Can someone give me some Idea of what I am looking at.
Appreciate any help

Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Been there

I just did this job a few weeks ago. I bought my truck about 1.5 years ago and just got up the nerve to tackle it. The part is called the radiator support and is available as an aftermarket part. I got mine for $75 at a junkyard, but they are hard to find, as they tend to rust if exposed to salt.

It is a bolt on item. The job took a while, but was workable. Mine was rusted completely in two. So, the nose of the truck was hanging off the fenders. You should not have to disconnect the A/C. I got by without unhooking the radiator. I tried not to, but ended up removing the bumper to get the new part in place. I cut out the old one in pieces with at reciprocating saw.

The most frustrating thing was removing the mounting bolts. If your body bushings are ok, you can just remove the top nuts off the frame mounts and lift the old one out. Use plenty of penetrating oil and get a strong helper to hold the heads of the bolts on the frame. If you don't, you may break them out. The bolt and bushing sets are expensive $100 +. My bolts were usable, but I made my lower bushings out of a rubber mallot. They may not last, but I will keep check on them. I also had to repair one of the mounting brackets on my frame. The slot for the mount had rusted out.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the reply,
You said you cut the old one out in pieces. Is that because it was tacked in or simply because it was so rusted?
It will wait till the spring..but plan to tackle it as soon as I can

Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 AM
The rad support for a 92-96 is $189 new from LMC if you can't find a non-rusted one/want a new one

Ron

Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 AM
I cut mine out because I tried to remove it without taking out the bumper. It was already ruined from the rust, so I took it out in pieces, rather than take a chance on damaging something like the radiator. I did not have to weld or cut, except on the frame bracket to repair it.

I did cut one of the old frame bolts off to get it out. It was really rusted and that made it easier.

Quick Reply: Quick question about some rot