Pre-1997 Models

Cleaned motor now wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaned motor now wont crank

I degreased my motor with GUNK degreaser and rinsed it out with water and let the truck sit for about 24 hours and today I went to start it today and it wont start. It will turn over and everything just wont start. Im thinking I got something wet that shouldn't have gotten wet. I covered the distributer with a towel to keep it dry. What is wrong with it? I would check the spark but I don't have anyone to help me(kinda hard to turn the key to crank and check the spark at the same time). Im hoping it will just dry out some more and crank because I just spent all the rest of my money on a sub and amp for the truck.

Anything I can check on it by myself? Im guessing it isn't getting spark because it wont even try to fire, just turns over.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you are talking about the 86 F-150 in you're signature. I would start by turning the distributor cap upside down and checking for moisture inside. Either screws or clips holding the cap on, I assume screws. Raise the cap up enough to clear the rotor, before inverting.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by masseyman
I assume you are talking about the 86 F-150 in you're signature. I would start by turning the distributor cap upside down and checking for moisture inside. Either screws or clips holding the cap on, I assume screws. Raise the cap up enough to clear the rotor, before inverting.
Yes sorry on my 86 F150

ok I took off the cap yesterday and didn't see any water in it but ill do it again tomorrow.

thanks

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Got it running yesterday. coil was getting spark but distributer wasnt so i swapped plug wires and it cranked right up

Quick Reply: Cleaned motor now wont crank