Pre-1997 Models

'95 F250 loose steering

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 F250 loose steering

I just picked up a '95 F250 PSD, ext cab 4x2. The steering is slightly loose and it wants to "wander" a little while driving--but I got under the truck earlier and had a helper turn the wheel back & forth and I saw nothing loose. Tie rods are all fine, as is the pitman arm and balljoint. Is there an adjustment on the steering box to take up some of the slack? I can grab the pitman arm with one hand and turn the steering shaft with the other hand and while turning the shaft back & forth 1/2 inch or so, there is NO movement in the pitman arm. What's the proper procedure for adjusting the box?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
i would like to know the same thing.. i have a 95 150 4x4 and mine does the same but everything is tight under there..

Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 AM
I would also like to know the awnser to this question , it gets scary when driving , somtimes i think ppl watching me drive think im drunk . I just cant seem to keep the truck going in a straight line , its all over the road and is loose as a 5 dollar hooker.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Yes, on top of the box there is an adjustment. You will see a nut with a screw running through it. You have to loosen the nut and then turn the screw clockwise to take out the slack. Dont be surprised if this doesnt fix your problem, usually its related to worn out steering components. I had the same problem, i changed my inner and outer tie rods and adjuster sleeves, and it took every bit of play out, now its as tight as it can be. Oh and be carefull with that adjustment, it you tighten it too much, the steering will be very twitchy, adust it in incriments then test.. Hope this helps!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 AM
where is the steering box located , i got a 94. it would be nice if it was just a turn of a nut to fix it.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I agree with del1650 on making sure everything else is in good shape before even trying this, and also of the potential downsides of over-tightening -

Suggest that this steering box adjustment is just a partial fix or patch. It can take some of the slop out, but don't expect it to be 'as good as new' if the truck has a lot of miles and the steering box subsequently has a lot of wear.

Tighten no more than 1/8 turn at a time, then take a good test drive. If you get it too tight, the steering will tend not to return to center after turns - it will stay where it's put, which can be dangerous in turns if one isn't expecting this behavior. Also, you will end up correcting the steering going straight on down the road more so than the way things started out, if you tighten too much. If you tighten upwards of a 1/2 turn or more - probably gone too far, and will not get any additional improvement with further tightening.

Steering box - look in the engine compartment down the driver side of the radiator, where the steering shaft from the cab ends up. There will be a 'box' with a slotted screw held by a nut. Loosen the nut about 1/4-1/2 turn, then tighten the slotted screw. Hold the slotted screw in place, and re-tighten the nut.

Some others say they've had great success with this - I only noticed a marginal improvement, thus my lack of enthusiasm about this procedure.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:50 PM
ah, one other suggestion -

watch the steering box as the steering wheel is turned slowly back-and-forth. Look for any 'delay' or disconnect in motions between the steering box input shaft change of direction and the pitman arm change. Ideally, there should be none.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '95 F250 loose steering