Pre-1997 Models

Door handle snapping off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door handle snapping off.

Haven't been on in a long long time.

About 2 years ago i got my seat belt stuck in the door locking mechanism. So stuck that i couldn't open the door. So i kept pulling on it and i ripped the handle bracket and everything right out of the sheet metal of the door. It looked like i tried to blow the sheet metal up, it was mushroomed. So i just did a cheap fix and pounded the metal flat drilled some new holes it the bracket and all was good.

Well about 2 months ago it seems to be off or something cuz I would randomly have to pull the handle any where from 1 to 4 times to open the door. And now it the plastic handle itself broke not the whole mechansim. I got a new one and made sure everything was dandy before replacing the door panel. Then i moved the truck out of the driveway and back into the street where i park it and it immediatly snapped again.

So wish me luck this time around that it doesn't break again.
Lol that same night, the concert i wanted to go to turned out to be sold out, i cut my face at work that day, and got horribly sick that night and am just barely feeling 100% again alomost 2 weeks later.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Door Handle

I break mine at least once a year

Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 PM
How's your door striker pin? Mine had a plastic sleeve on the pin that the door strikes on closing. This plastic had broken off, making the door latch hard to activate both opening and closing.

Replaced the striker, all was good again.

Another thing - does the door close squarely? Although it's not as big a problem on Fords as GM - may need to inspect the door hinge pins and bushing for wear, particularly if the door sags.

Make sure the striker is centered so the door catches it cleanly. Need a Torx stub to loosen, but there is some adjustability with the striker if needed.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I haven't fixed it again yet. But i did notice the plastic sleeve is still there. i think maybe the cable may be out of alignment because of the original incident. I've been so busy learning new stuff at work and school and trying to score pionts with my friend at work (a hot chick) that i haven't been able to tear into it. I finally have a few minutes right now, but its dark out and i wanna relax. I'll keep ya posted what happens when i dig into in a few days.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) Read the FSA (recall) about those latches.

2) Align your door(s).

3) Many people swap to the older chromed metal door handles, but I prefer black, and if the door is aligned & the latch is good, plastic handles work fine. If you want black metal handles, I have some powdercoated handles for sale. If you want one, read this post & then e-mail me.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:06 PM
my friend replaced his handles with metal ones from a 89 f150 straight bolt on his is a 91 like mine not a prob

Quick Reply: Door handle snapping off.