Pre-1997 Models

New Member: Trying to restore 84 F150 Straight 6

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member: Trying to restore 84 F150 Straight 6

Hello, I just bought the Haynes manual for $21 at Pep Boys. I wish I had found this site first. I can't find, or the manual does not have the info I need. I am hoping someone here can help me.

This is an 84 F150 with a long wheel base, with the long bed. It has been in the family a long time. It was first my dads truck, he bought from the guy up the street in 89. Then it became my brother's truck. It has been sitting since 2003 and my brother said I could have it. It was parked because of a broken harmonic balancer, which I replaced. I have removed the gas tank and drained the gas(why don't they put drain plugs on gas tanks?). While it was parked over the last few years someone stole the radiator and reservoir tank. I have replaced the radiator. Some of the belts were cut to remove the radiator with ease and other belts seem to be missing. The lower radiator hose was cut and I replaced that.

Can someone tell me how the belts attach to the: the crank, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and the a/c compressor. A diagram would be great, but a written description would also be great. I was hoping the Haynes manual would have a picture or a diagram.

My next problem is, that it was late and I hooked up the battery with polarity reversed and it cause alot of smoke. It was dark and I was tired and I could not see well and I was using a battery made for a different vehicle, with the battery terminal post reversed on different sides, and I am an idiot. My question: is there a fuse link that might have protected me? How much damage do you think I might have done? Where would you start to fix this problem?

The reservoir tank; can I use one from any car? There is alot of space to mount a different one somewhere. I did check at NAPA for a tank and they didn't have one, but I didn't check at Pep Boys. I was thinking "could I make one" but I don't know.

And one last question. This truck had almost zero torque. I mean if a bag of golf club were in the back it had a hard time pulling up small hills and the rear tires felt like they were sliding from left to right, but the engine alway seemed to run real smooth and good. It has a 3 speed manual transmission with a fourth gear which is over-drive. I don't know what rear end it has, but do you think that might be to problem?

Thanks for reading, thanks for having me here, and any information is much appreciated.

David

Old 10-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome David! Are you sure the Chilton's manual you got doesn't have a belt routing diagram? Steve83 has an amazing amount of diagrams and info on his site. Just click on the black Bronco in his sig(link), crack open your favorite beverage, and start going through all of the info there(dial up - beware!). Sounds like a nice little project you started, so hang in there.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Make friends at the local salvage yard. Recycled parts are cheaper and available.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Suspended
welcome my first truck was just like the setup you've got.. man i loved that old straight 6.. drove it till the engine couldn't be rebulit no more.. that thing did EVERYTHING i asked of it.. man i miss that truck. ford never should have dropped that engine.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Shop eBay, your local libraries, garage sales, etc. for an old red-cover Haynes. The '80-91 edition is the best for that truck.

Gas tanks don't have drains because of theft, fire from leaks, & pollution.

Letting the smoke out is baaaaadd... Get the alternator tested. Does the truck have a plain carb, or the electronic feedback type?

Without a pic of your pulleys, it'll be hard to tell you what goes where. There were several arrangements, depending on options & emissions.

Quick Reply: New Member: Trying to restore 84 F150 Straight 6