Pre-1997 Models

Degreased and Hosed off Motor - Truck Won't Start Now

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Degreased and Hosed off Motor - Truck Won't Start Now

I have a 94 F150 with a 4.9L I6 the other day I washed the engine compartment and have been unable to start the truck since then. Here is what I've done so far:

- Removed dist cap, blew everything off to make sure it was dry
- replaced ignition wires
- replaced the ignition control module
- The truck is getting spark and I verified this by removing the wire off the #1 cylinder and plugging a spark plug into the wire and cranking the motor which causes the plug to spark....so it seemed to me like spark was okay...

So I removed the schrader valve, pushed it in and try to crank the motor...and I am getting no fuel ... no fuel pressure I also at this point noticed that I could not hear the fuel pump priming.

I tried moving the relays around but I don't know which relay is the fuel pump relay and it's not marked on the box... I also read somewhere else that there are actually two relays in there which control power to the fuel pump is this right??

I also checked the intertia/cutoff switch... it was pushed in, i unplugged it, plugged it back in... put a test light to it and it's getting power... however if I turn the key in the ignition and then go under the truck I have no power at the fuel pump... although I imagine by the time i get down there the pump would be shut off anyways.....

Forgot to add one thing... when this all happened my arrow on the fuel gauge has gone WAY past full off the charts and it has never done that before.

Last edited by Dman03GT; 10-09-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM
It sounds like water got in the cylinders somehow.

Remove the plugs and wipe them off then start it a few times with Starting Fluid (ether). That should get rid of the moisture and allow the pump to push in fresh fuel.

The same thing (Starting Fluid) may even work without pulling the plugs, but it may take a few extra tries.

I wish you well.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
It's definately electrical not mechanical. can you get a haynes and look for the relays maybe water got under them also check all the fuses under hood and in cab?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Well I tested all the relays, they are all good...and so are all the fuses. I don't think its water in the motor well because my fuel pump is not priming and I have no fuel pressure to even try that... is there anything besides fuse/relay/inertia that might be keeping my fuel pump from kicking on???

Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Seems almost like a shorted pump. I also have a 94 I6. I had the pump just quit one day around 200,000 . Stopped to pick up milk on the way home and came back out to a dead pump. Those things fail without any warning. They run forever but the failure is all at once. Not like a mechanical pump.

What struck me was the line about the fule gauge going wacko.... That sending unit is attached to the pump and if it got shorted the pump may be toast. What does the pump side connection at the tank ohm out to?? If its open your pump is dead

Quick Reply: Degreased and Hosed off Motor - Truck Won't Start Now