Pre-1997 Models

Spark Plug gap

Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug gap

Ill be replacing my plugs this week and wondering what gap to use on a 94 F150 with my 4.9 inline 6. Is there anyother things that would be reccomended while doing a small tune up. Thanks in advance. Garry

Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Autolite Platinum is what everyone on here recomends, orrielys said 42 gap. You can get a good set of wires these days for around $35, so it's good to change them. PCV valve, and air filter are other items. I had a KandN direct replacement and they dont work well if you spend every mile on a back country dirt road, every one says they're the best in good conditions.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Garbar,

I'm far less experienced than a lot of guys on here, but will throw you a reply (i've had two different 300's and done minor tune ups on each). My chilton is in the garage (don't recall gap), but I got the oem replacment plugs - and checked each before installing. They were all at spec gap out the box. Each time I buy an older vehicle like this I do the following if I can't determine that the P.O. definitlely did them recently: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter (and the oil breather filter), and oil/lube/filter. Don't recall exactly, but this will probably set you back 60-70 if you buy everything and do it yourself. You've probably already done this, but check all your fluids too and add as necessary.

If you haven't already, buy a chilton/haynes manual (read the general/routine maint section). Between reading that and searching here you can really learn a lot.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replys, iv got a KaN filter so no need to worry there , thanks for the info on the plugs , ill be picking up the wires and doing a complete check up on all fluids and getting that oil out and changing that aswell with the filter, hmm also theres a filter in my airbox , im not sure what this is but should i change this out aswell. Thanks once again for your knowledge guys and gals. Garry

Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Everyone I've talked to says platinums give poor performance & mileage. I've always gotten the best results from the cheapest Autolites at Wal-Mart.

The plug gap is printed on the emissions sticker under the hood.

The PCV breather filter should be changed at least as often as the PCV valve.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by ccmac
Autolite Platinum is what everyone on here recomends, orrielys said 42 gap. You can get a good set of wires these days for around $35, so it's good to change them. PCV valve, and air filter are other items. I had a KandN direct replacement and they dont work well if you spend every mile on a back country dirt road, every one says they're the best in good conditions.
I don't recommend Autolite Platinum plugs. the 300 or 4.9 doesn't like um. use regular Autolite.

Bruce

Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 AM
what is a pcv breather filter? and i got the regular cheappy autolites in my 302 and i dont have a problem couldnt tell you the gap cause were diff. and a good tune up always gives good results

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug gap