Pre-1997 Models

Curious about raising my F150 a bit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Curious about raising my F150 a bit...

I have a 302/E4OD reg cab, long bed F150 Lariat, 1991. 2wd...

It was a 'cushy' ride for the day, and didn't have any utility value like towing package or anything.
It currently has just gotten softer and has started slouching.

So I put spring spreader blocks up front and air shocks in the rear to stiffen and raise it slightly.
I have started working the truck harder than it has ever been worked in it's life. If I put anything in the bed, it rides low! Weak, weak, weak...

I know this is NOT the good way to do it.
So that brings me to my questions:

Can an F150 use front springs from a heavier duty truck like F250?
I would buy new, but for a different model truck if I knew they would fit.
I don't want to go back with the stock part number.

If I had to use a stock spring from an F150, what model should I use to get a stiffer/taller spring? Should I tell the parts counter that the truck has options like 351w and towing package to get the next size up springs?

How about the rear?
Should I just count my leafs and order a spring with more leafs?
Would an Ext cab long bed, tow pack F150 have stouter leafs?

Any ideas appriciated!
Thanks!
Dave

Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Maybe you should look into 2" coil spring spacers. The kit will cost right at $100, 2" longer springs will cost much more and wouldn't have any added performance.

There are several companies that offer them and shouldn't be too hard to find.

With either option that you choose you will most likely end up needing 2.75 degree camber shims installed. If not you prob won't be able to get the front wheels aligned right. They cost about $60 a pair.

If you do choose to add 2" to the front your truck will look nice and level. A good notch up from the stock look.

I wish you well

Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks!

How about the back?
Do I just add more leafs, or get something made for a heavier truck.
Like I said, all my springs seem much weaker and softer than when the truck was new. Even then, they were cushy rather than truck-like. Now they are just weak.

As for the alignment, I had that done already and they added the kit you are talking about.
With the spring blocks in place, they couldn't get the toe-in adjusted out of it, so in went the kit.

If I use the spring spacers, will the help stiffen the coils that are there, or just raise it up?
What year/model truck do I get the 2" longer springs from?
(meaning what do I ask for at the parts counter?)

Old 10-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by ratio411
Thanks!

How about the back?
Do I just add more leafs, or get something made for a heavier truck.
Like I said, all my springs seem much weaker and softer than when the truck was new. Even then, they were cushy rather than truck-like. Now they are just weak.

As for the alignment, I had that done already and they added the kit you are talking about.
With the spring blocks in place, they couldn't get the toe-in adjusted out of it, so in went the kit.

If I use the spring spacers, will the help stiffen the coils that are there, or just raise it up?
What year/model truck do I get the 2" longer springs from?
(meaning what do I ask for at the parts counter?)
The 2" spring block will stiffen the spring and lift the front. Or you can get the 2" extended springs at a place like http://www.4wheelparts.com/.

For the rear I would just find a pair of springs at a junk/salvage yard that are in good shape. I found a pair that were like new for $40. If you lift that rear it will make the front lower again and to raise the front more than the 2" will open a can of worms that you may not want to.

Quick Reply: Curious about raising my F150 a bit...