Pre-1997 Models

Dash light replacement with LED's... how to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash light replacement with LED's... how to do it?

I have found that the 194 bulb has a LED replacement that fits in the 194 socket. My speedo light went out along with the MPH pointer.

How hard is it to replace the speedo lights in he dash and do you think the LED conversion is a good idea?

Thanks Dan

Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Old 10-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I would not do it. I have an '89 and tried it. I took them out.

The LED bulbs, even the "omnidirectional" ones are very directional. The plastic bars that transmit the light from the bulb to the dash do not get enough light from the brightest LED. Those clear plastic bars are lit by the SIDE of the bulbs, not the end where most of the LED light comes from. Additionally, some of the brighter 194 LED bulbs won't fit thru the hole in the back of the instrument panel.

The LED 194 bulbs work great for the idiot lights like CEL, turn signal, high beam ... For those idiot lights, get the dimmer LEDs.

-Lance

Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
How hard is it to get to the dash lights?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Dan,

I was hoping someone else would answer this one. My '89 has a different dash style than your '96.

On my '89 two screws above the speedo are removed. The trim ring, including the a/c vents is removed by popping out several retaining clips. There are then several screws around the edge of the panel that are removed. The unit can then be pulled out slightly, where you can reach behind and remove two large electrical connectors and unscrew the speedo cable. The instrument panel can then be pulled out.

Once removed the instrument panel can be turned upside down and held in your lap. All the idiot and illumination lights can be accessed individually via twist type holders.

Hope that helps,
-Lance

Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
i have a 94 f150, its very easy.

first off put the parking brake on, for a reason later on, lower the steering column because it makes removal easier.

first off i guess you would have the aluminum bezel trim, you will need a small flat head screw driver to pry it out, there are 2 points on each piece, its pretty easy to find them and carefully pop them out one at a time. then go to the headlight switch and rotate it until you see the slot in it(you may have to turn on the lights to pull it out far enough, then use the screw driver to push the release tab) - dont forget to turn the lights off

second you need a socket set and unscrew the bolts that were behind the trim. once that is off i think it should have some pop off points and then you shift the truck into gear 1 - thats why you put the brake on (which makes it easier to move the panel when the shift lever is out of the way - unless you have a std). be careful pulling it out because there are wires connected and you need to unhook them. once that is gone you have some bolts holding the dash cluster and plastic cover... its been a while so i cant say which ones they are but its easy to find out, you pull out the cluster, if you have small enough hands you can change the buls from here, if not you need to disconnect the wire harness from the back and the speedometer cable... i think there is one more wire running to it but it has been about a year since i last opened the cluster

hope that helps, if you need any more information feel free to e-mail me

Last edited by kingsnkviper; 10-18-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Dash light replacement with LED's... how to do it?