Pre-1997 Models

4.9 Fan clutch nut won't budge.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9 Fan clutch nut won't budge.

1996 2wd. I'm trying to break loose this nut with a fan clutch tool kit from Advance Auto but it's very tight and the tool is of Taiwanese origin and keeps 'spreading' when I try to apply alot of pressure on it. To add to the problem I have different info about whether it's L or R hand thread so I'm not even sure I'm going in the right direction. The Haynes book says there were both L and R threads on these engines. Chilton says to loosen counterclockwise with no mention of different threads. The new Motorcraft water pump I have has right hand (to tighten) threads so I'm taking a guess and have been trying to loosen the normal counter clockwise direction. At the least I'm going to have to find a much better quality 1 9/16ths open end that is thin enough to fit in there.

Has anyone been down this road and have info or tips for breaking this nut loose?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Always loosen it in the same direction that it normally spins.

Water pumps with serpentine belts spin opposite of V belts, but just remember the fan direction rule.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:21 AM
ahhh, that is a VERY big help. Looking at the blade pitch I now understand Now at least I know I'm trying to loosen in correct direction but this spanner isn't very good quality (mild stamped non-heat treated probably). This nut is probably stubborn because I doubt it's ever been off. I realize I'm gonna need to break down and buy (or rent) a good heat treated tool and pulley holder. Looking at Mac or KD. Any expert recommendations on brand and where to buy?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, & Craftsman tools, so any pro tool will work. But back in the day, before I could afford that, I drilled 3 holes into an old leaf spring (good treated steel) and cut a slot into it slightly smaller than that nut. Then I used a file to adjust it for a tight fit. It works great and cost about 1 hr. If there are a few pawn shops near you, check them - sometimes you can find REALLY good tools. If you see a name-brand tool that's damaged, those are the best buy since you can return them to a dealer & get a new one at a broken pawn-shop price.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Got 'er off! A guy I work with had some other brand of wrench he lent me and it fit much tighter on the nut. It took my full weight to break it free but after that it spun off easily. No thread corrosion and it looks new and shiny. Must've just been tight. THANKS for the help (again) Steve!

Quick Reply: 4.9 Fan clutch nut won't budge.