Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Issues

93' F-150 with a 4.9 straight six, not that it matters. So, the forward fuel tank indicates correctly but the rear tank when selected indicates super full!
And when the forward tank runs empty the engine shuts off. Shouldn't the engine automatically get fuel from the rear tank? Sometimes I act like i'm in a plane and I gotta get fuel somehow or i'll crash. Yeah crazy huh? Also i hear a constant whirring from a pump back there. don't seem normal to me? Any suggestions as to the real problem or problemssss?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, the tanks don't automatically switch. That's why there's a gauge for each - if it was automatic, the gauge would just show the total fuel load, regardless of which tank it was in, and there wouldn't be a switch on the dash for YOU to change tanks. Have you read the owner's manual?

Fuel pumps get noisy when you run them dry - they're lubed & cooled by the fuel going thru them, so every time you've run it empty, you've damaged the pump. Plan on replacing it in the near future. To see how, click my black Bronco below (or go to my homepage in my profile) & look in the EFI Fuel Pump album.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:19 AM
Fuel Issues sort of

Thanks for replying, and an owners manual might be appropriate. I picked this truck up a couple of weks ago for cheep. It lacked two things, an owners manual and drivers vent window. The dude I bought it from said that the tanks automatically switch over and all this crap but that seems to not be the troof. So in order to prevent damage to the pump I should switch tanks before running it empty in order to leave some juice for lube and cooling? Does the manual recommend switching at a certain level? Also any Ideas on which part has failed regarding the fuel level in the rear tank? Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Download the closest year's manual that you can get free from Ford.

Did you look at those pics? The level sender MIGHT be bad, or it could be anything else in the circuit (like the tank select switch or the wire). You'll have to do some diagnosis (or pay someone to do it for you).

Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
When the tank gets low u have to switch it over to the other tank or it will stall, and when the pump is running it will wine thats just how they are.

Quick Reply: Fuel Issues