Pre-1997 Models

oil and gas additives

Old 09-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil and gas additives

ive seen i parts stores this stuff that you add to your oil and some that you add to your fuel that is supposed to bring back the engines original performance, has anyone alse seen this stuff or used it and what do you think? Isent impossible to do becuase the metal in the engine is worn down so the only way to return to original performance is rebuild the engine.

just woundering because my 96 4.9 l has over 200 thousand miles on it and i wounder how much she has left in her.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Those additives are mostly snakeoil, and you pretty much answered your own question. At 200k, the engine is approaching her "golden years", but far from out to pasture with good routine maintenance.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM
i work at o'reilly's auto

and we tend to sell the most seafoam for gas and in second is lucas-I like it
but it seems that the older hot rod guys and serouis mechanics only run seafoam

for oil we sell lucas-good stuff Ive used it also

Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Seafoam is good stuff. A lot of people use it for piston soaks and intake cleaning. If you've ever seen the smoke show it creates, you'll have little doubt that it's removing deposits.

I've also seen the Restore stuff raise compression on older engines. How it works I don't know, but to some extent if you remove valve and/or ring deposits it seems logical.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by signmaster
Seafoam is good stuff. A lot of people use it for piston soaks and intake cleaning. If you've ever seen the smoke show it creates, you'll have little doubt that it's removing deposits.

I've also seen the Restore stuff raise compression on older engines. How it works I don't know, but to some extent if you remove valve and/or ring deposits it seems logical.
Seafoam is crap. Always has been; always will be.

The smoke you see is the pale oil burning off. You'd get the same smoke if you poured 10w-30 in there as well.

Search for posts by Labnerd & edumacate yerself.

Here's just one: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=seafoam

And Remember - more suds does not mean better soap

But - it is yer engine... if ya wanna put dat Yak **** in there, it's entirely yer call, bud. I ain't gonna stop ya. Just don't fegit ta change yer oil & fuel filter after.

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-12-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Suspended
my 84 f150 has 240,000 on it... just good maintence none of that snakeoil additives b.s.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Seafoam is crap. Always has been; always will be.

The smoke you see is the pale oil burning off. You'd get the same smoke if you poured 10w-30 in there as well.

Search for posts by Labnerd & edumacate yerself.

Here's just one: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hlight=seafoam

And Remember - more suds does not mean better soap

But - it is yer engine... if ya wanna put dat Yak **** in there, it's entirely yer call, bud. I ain't gonna stop ya. Just don't fegit ta change yer oil & fuel filter after.

I really don't care what it's made of. I've used the DeepCreep to clean things that everything else didn't clean as well. Obviously anything completely carbonized isn't producing a lot of smoke, but apparently there is a reason that it smokes less when people use it more often.

I've seen it dissolve crap on a badly stuck EGR valve, so it apparently does something. Will it remove the badly caked on crap in a combustion chamber? Probably not. But if it removes deposits in the system up to that point, it's helping some.

As far as chemical composition, I have no idea. But I'd doubt you'd want to use pale oils as a starter fluid. I've seen DeepCreep used as a starter fluid on a carbed engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil and gas additives