Pre-1997 Models

Bypassing the smog pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Bypassing the smog pump

Does anyone have the belt # for bypassing the smog pump on a 1993 F150 5.0L with A/C? I would really appreciate hearing back from you.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it even possible with just a shorter belt? I haven't really looked at the setup on my truck, but I know with my Camaro it requires a pulley to be bolted in place of the pump.

If there is enough room for the belt to work without it though, you could always just do trial and error. Part stores carry just about any length belt you could want, just keep trying until one fits right.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Why do you want to do that?

The engine in you truck is designed to run with the smog pump. I doubt it will give you anymore power or mileage. It probably will make them worse.

Retrofitting mid '60s cars with the vacuum advance on/off valve, upon resale, caused performance degradation. Those engines were not designed for smog equipment. Yours is.

Also, why should we breath your excess pollution?

My brother, mother and wife have asthma. Why should we make it harder for them and several million other people based on an urban legend.

-Lance

Old 08-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Don't come on here preaching to me buddy. If thats the way you feel than you should be driving a Hybrid or a solar car for that matter. There is no room for you here. Keep your opinions to your self, I didn't ask how to save the planet, I ask if you knew the belt size, which you don't. why did you even respond if you didn't know?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Jrpotts01,

I gave you my opinion as to the efficacy of disconnecting the smog pump. This is a forum for exchanging facts and opinions.

I did not get personal or angry. I did not say anything rude. If you do not want to hear calm, impersonal responses, then don't ask questions.

Furthermore, you are using a public forum to ask how to commit a crime. True it is a minor infraction. But you are using a public forum to ask how to do it.

I have not been rude to you. I expect, demand, the same in return. I have a science degree and have been doing engineering work for almost 30 years. I have rebuilt engines, transmissions, transfer cases, hubs, brakes, entire electrical systems, among other things on many types of cars. You may wish to ignore what I say, based on my knowledge and experience. However we all need to be respectful if this forum is to function fully.

-Lance

Originally Posted by Jrpotts01
Don't come on here preaching to me buddy. If thats the way you feel than you should be driving a Hybrid or a solar car for that matter. There is no room for you here. Keep your opinions to your self, I didn't ask how to save the planet, I ask if you knew the belt size, which you don't. why did you even respond if you didn't know?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 AM
I used an 88.2 inch belt from Auto Zone to bypass mine. Will have to find the P/N when I get home.....

Old 08-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Yea i was also interested in this, I dont think it will increase the hp maybe some fuel economy because it would take less effort to run the motor, im not to sure

Last edited by krazyballer; 08-20-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Did you notice any difference when you did yours, good or bad?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Wrap a string around the pullies you want to keep using, thun measure the string. Proven fact by the Mustang guys, you will net zero performance and milage gains for doing this. If the pump has siezed and you don't want to replace it would be the only reason to bypass.....

Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by F151
Proven fact by the Mustang guys, you will net zero performance and milage gains for doing this...
What are your sources?

Not trying to be smart, but all the comments and advertising I have seen on the subject is that it is worth 10-15 hp.
I would like to see some sources on the other side of the arguement, so to speak.

Edit:
Fwiw...
If you still have a cat in the exhaust, you are doing harm by removing the pump.
It keeps the cat functioning with catylist oxygen.
If the cat loses that, it will clog and bog.
Also, removing the pump requires plugging some plumbing around the engine.
Including the passages at the rear of the heads.
That said, if you do not have a cat in the exhaust... the pump is doing nothing whatsoever to stop asthsma or cure cancer or whatever wonders it does. Has to have a cat to mean squat.

Last edited by ratio411; 08-21-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
what about on a 96f250 351 88.2 would that be the same as a 302???

i'll get a new smog pump in time, but for now, mine siezed up and smells like its going to catch on fire.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by onefastermonte8
what about on a 96f250 351 88.2 would that be the same as a 302???

i'll get a new smog pump in time, but for now, mine siezed up and smells like its going to catch on fire.
Take an old belt off your truck, cut it so that it lays straight.
Then route it around your pulleys as though the smog pump was not there.
Overlap it at the ends and measure how much is excess.
Subtract that amount from the stock length of the belt when layed flat.
Minus a bit more so your tension pulley can do it's job.
That will get you very close.

Edit:
When I say old belt off your truck, I mean one that was on there in the past. Not the current good belt.
I always keep old belts (that didn't self distruct) so I have a suitable backup in an emergency.
If you don't have an old belt, you can use a fabric type tape measure, or even a string to measure a belt if you route it like the belt goes.

Last edited by ratio411; 09-03-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 PM
good point, problem is i dont have a old belt. I could try the string method, Will the self adjusting pulley still work with bypassing the smog pump?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by onefastermonte8
good point, problem is i dont have a old belt. I could try the string method, Will the self adjusting pulley still work with bypassing the smog pump?

The tensioner? Yes it will still work.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 PM
bypassing smoggery siezup

i also have a 5.0 automatic with a siezed smog pump. I was looking into trying to prove haynes and chiltons wrong and rebuilding the internals of the smog pump. meanwhile i would have to bypass it or replace it. it is 70 bucks, almost, for a new one. but as near as i can tell from googling parts all over the net..., it is just a couple of plastic air impellers inside...

Quick Reply: Bypassing the smog pump