Pre-1997 Models

diesel info / opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel info / opinions please

91-95ish f-250 diesels : motor/tranny opts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of buying an older ( approx 91-95) f-250 diesel. I'm fairly familiar with the f-150's of this vintage and if I got a gasser, I'm partial to the 300 6's. I'm trying to weigh out the advantages of diesel vs. gas, but really know nothing about the consequences of the (at least) 3 different diesel engines (7.3 non turbo, 7.3 turbo, and 7.3 Powerstroke). Also, I would normally prefer a stick (in a gasser), but don't know about stick vs. auto in a diesel (primarily concerned with MPG and I will do limited towing). If it matters, I live in MN, so will see both extremes of temps.

Would appreciate feedback on these engine/tranny combos and/or general tips on looking at older diesels.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The "Powerstroke" name was applied to turbo & non-turbo diesels, of several displacements. Your real choices are direct-injection (DI) & indirect (IDI), each turbo or non-turbo. I don't know enough about oil-burners to give you any advice on which is better.

The E4OD is much stronger than any stick offered in the 90s, and will give better mileage than most (with the possible exception of the ZF).

Diesel has been historically cheaper per mile than gas (the reason big trucks use it), but it's getting closer now. Biodiesel will probably re-open the gap.

But if you're not towing or hauling every day, and you want mileage, get a Focus.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
'84-'87: 6.9L IDI
'87-'93: 7.3L IDI
'92-'93: 7.3L Turbo IDI
'94-'97: 7.3L DI (Powerstroke)

'89-'97 E4OD auto
'88-'96 ZF S5-42 five speed
'96-'97 ZF S5-47 five speed

Purdy much all are tough and no major trouble spots with anything. Two good sites to check out and research at are www.oilburners.net and www.thedieselgarage.com

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve83
The "Powerstroke" name was applied to turbo & non-turbo diesels, of several displacements. Your real choices are direct-injection (DI) & indirect (IDI), each turbo or non-turbo. I don't know enough about oil-burners to give you any advice on which is better.
Ain't that the truth... Powerstroke has been used since 1994 on the 7.3 motors. However, all of the Ford diesels are VERY solid motors, although if you get a non-turbo motor, you won't be winning any races. And if you find one with a stick and like the way it drives, then get it!

Quick Reply: diesel info / opinions please