Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MSD vs. ACCEL

Who makes the better coil?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Crane

Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered a Crane PS91 a couple days ago.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 AM
Both are about equal. I run a MSD coil in mine. No issues......

Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by SKATERBRO
Who makes the better coil?
It's a crap shoot with coils, just about all of them seem to hold up well. I think my Jacobs is good for about 65,000 volts.

I wish the boxes were as reliable. I've fried a couple Jacobs, have talked to enough people that fried MSDs, and just when I thought the Accels were holding up I've heard of some failures with them too.

Just to be on the safe side you might want to alter the mount so you can keep both.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
WOW, Jegs is quick! Ohio to Cali in two days. I went with an Accel. Don't know about a difference in mpg's, but there is definitely more power, especially on the freeway. But i also got one of those throttle enhancer calibrators, so i know a lot of it has to do with that. By the way, is this "e-core" design really all it's cracked up to be, or do they hype it up to try & sell more?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by SKATERBRO
WOW, Jegs is quick! Ohio to Cali in two days. I went with an Accel. Don't know about a difference in mpg's, but there is definitely more power, especially on the freeway. But i also got one of those throttle enhancer calibrators, so i know a lot of it has to do with that. By the way, is this "e-core" design really all it's cracked up to be, or do they hype it up to try & sell more?
I can't say for sure about the "e-core", it seems everyone has a different name for their coils but most of them work good. With my stuff I could notice part throttle and low end torque more, and some up at higher revs. You should be able to increase your gaps as well. I went up as high as .075 IIRC, but that was with both coil and box. I ended up backing them down more out of fear the gap would be too big if the box failed, which ended up being a good idea.

Did you get one of the Caspers throttle calibration units or something similar? The one I'm thinking of goes between the TPS and the TPS harness.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Signmaster, did you take the gaps back down to stock, or just somewhere in between? Yeah, it's made by Caspers Electronics. And yes, it plugs in between the TPS and the TPS harness.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I took the gaps down a little bit closer to stock. I was worried that with the mega gaps I might have firing problems if the box went out. I live in a normally high humidity area, and didn't want to take too big of a chance.

I think I had maxed out gains either way. I know Jacobs recommends stepping up in increments of .005 until you notice hesitation or loss of power, then move back down that .005.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I think i'll try that, thanks.

Quick Reply: MSD vs. ACCEL