Pre-1997 Models

1992 F-150 Supercab

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 F-150 Supercab

I just picked up a 92 f150 x-cab with 104,000 miles on it, xlt, 5.0, auto. I know the following things have been replaced recently as the service receipts are in the truck:

-battery
-shocks
-radiator
-left exhaust manifold
-oil pressure sending unit

My question is what else should I look at replacing? Oil has been changed every 3000 miles but I'm curious what I need be looking for, thinks like cleaning replacing injectors, etc... Truck does seem to idle high and then acts like it wants to die when you first put it in drive but that is only when it is cold it seems. Also, the accelerator is not as smooth to push as I would think.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 08-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Always gotta look at the EGR system where it attaches to the TB.

That thing gets clogged up and it will run stupid.
Not that you have that problem this moment, but if the PO didn't do it, you will have a problem with it.

Also, check into servicing the tranny.
I put a tranny cooler on mine right when I got it, and drilled the trans pan for a drain plug.
The E4OD needs regular attention and needs to stay cooled.

Mine also only had a single core radiator.
With the a/c on here in FL, it tended to run on the hot side.
I picked up a nice 2 core radiator from a 5.8 truck with the towing package from my local junkyard for cheap. Since then it runs cool anytime and the a/c is cooler.

Other things to check on high miles:
Throttle position sensor
Oxygen sensor
Make sure the cat is not clogged up
Keep a spare TFI module handy

That's about it.
I had most of these problems with my 5.0 Lariat (90) when I got it. It had just under 100k miles.

Last edited by ratio411; 08-11-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ML504
I just picked up a 92 f150 x-cab with 104,000 miles on it, xlt, 5.0, auto.
My question is what else should I look at replacing?
Nothing, unless it's specified in the maintenance schedule, or tests bad. Get a Haynes manual & download the closest year owner's manual you can get from the Ford site.
Truck does seem to idle high and then acts like it wants to die when you first put it in drive but that is only when it is cold it seems.
Check the fuel pressure. If it's low, start by changing the fuel filter & recheck. For more details, click the black Bronco in my signature below & look thru the EFI Fuel Pump album.
Also, the accelerator is not as smooth to push as I would think.
This is a known problem:

If that's not it, pull the cable off the truck (it's easy) & inspect it for binding, frayed wire strands, or damage at the throttle end. It's common for dumb mechanics to break the guide tube inside the spring at that end, causing problems. If it's OK, check the throttle linkage & the throttle shaft itself. They sometimes wear into the throttle body, causing the throttle plates to bind in the bores.

Infrequent PCV maintenance can also affect the throttle plates by depositing tar & carbon in the TB, so spray it out with throttle-body (NOT carb) cleaner.

Originally Posted by ratio411
Always gotta look at the EGR system where it attaches to the TB. That thing gets clogged up and it will run stupid.
Not on a pre-'97. EGR problems on these older trucks generally relate to vacuum leaks in the EGR control system. The clog occurs on early modular engines.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Thank you for the information, it is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
Not on a pre-'97. EGR problems on these older trucks generally relate to vacuum leaks in the EGR control system. The clog occurs on early modular engines.
Just because it hasn't happened to you?!?

My truck was running goofy at cruising speeds.
I took the truck to my uncle who works in a shop and owns Ford trucks himself.
First thing out of his mouth was "EGR screen is clogged"...
Sure enough it was.
Cleaned it out and problem gone.
He said he sees the problem in his shop all the time, and he knows the difference between a mod and a 5.0!

I'm passing along good info here, and just because you haven't seen it, you dismiss it.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't dismiss anything - I disagreed with you; there's a difference. Lots of people work in shops & own Ford trucks. They can still be wrong.

1) Ford never put a "screen" in the EGR system, so whoever did that to your truck is the cause of your problem.

2) If the EGR was blocked because of trash in some screen, or if it has been welded shut, it won't cause the engine to run badly enough to notice, at any speed. The EGR only causes driveability issues when it's jammed OPEN.

Quick Reply: 1992 F-150 Supercab