Pre-1997 Models

1991 I6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 I6 won't start

So.... I woke up this morning and went to the gas station which is less than 1/4 mile away from my apartment... It started up just fine, drove fine and then I parked. When I came back out, it wouldn't start.

I don't hear the starter click like it's trying to do anything... so I walk home, wait a few minutes and have my g/f drive me back up there... same problem... we waited until 6:00PM (about 8 hours later) and try again, this time I check to make sure all the grounding and power wires are connected well and aren't fudged up, and everything seems to be fine.

The battery doesn't seem to be the problem, my lights are just as bright as ever, radio, buzzers, etc work A/C is off but the voltage gauge seems a little low, but still in normal range.

The only thing I can think to be the problem would be the starter solenoid, and perhaps to a lesser extent, the starter itself... but I wouldn't think it would just NOT work after 3 minutes in a gas station... last time a solenoid went out on me, it had one or two more cranks left in it, even though it didn't start the vehicle.

Another suspicion of mine is that maybe since my torque converter has been slipping for a while that a bunch of metal crap has just done its deed and frozen the tranny.... I only think this because when I was under it and tapping the floorboard to get my g/f to try to start it, I hear what sounds like the starter buzzing and not being able to turn (still no click though).

Any help would be appreciated... If it is a tranny problem, there's an Eagle Transmission right next door to the gas station.

A little pissed off,
J4

Old 08-05-2007, 08:22 PM
If the starter relay doesn't click, either it's FUBAR (and they can fail instantly BTDT) or you've got a bad connection somewhere.

Test for voltage at the hot side of the relay
Disconnect the control wire from the relay, have someone turn the key to start while you test the control wire for voltage
Test the battery ground cable and the cable from the relay to the starter for continuity.

If all of the above check, replace the relay

Old 08-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm not at the truck to look at it right now... would the relay be next to the battery? or is it gonna be over on the airbox side with the other relays?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
It's the thing you're calling a starter solenoid

Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Go to FSB's Tech Writeups forum & read the thread about "ignition actuator replacement".

Quick Reply: 1991 I6 won't start