Pre-1997 Models

'89 F250 front suspension clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 F250 front suspension clunk

Hello, this is my first post... I recently bought an '89 F250 5.8L that is overall in good shape. I had it inspected prior to buying it and the shop said the front outer tie-rod ends needed to be replaced. There is a clunk coming from up there that is noticeable much of the time, but VERY noticeable when the wheel is turned all the way to the locks and on non-flat surface (like my driveway). I am figuring this is the cause of all that noise, but I really don't have much experience working on cars.

So, I am here to get some advice on what to do -- I am very willing to tear into the thing, but I have only a little experience working on cars (changing oil, replacing spark plugs, filters, etc).

So,

1) is it wise for me to attempt this myself? I know I'll have to get it aligned afterwards so I'll have to take it to a shop no matter what, and

2) If I'm down there replacing the tie rod ends, does it make sense to be working on anything else? I can follow a Clymers book to do whatever it is that needs to be done, but my problem is knowing what is in good condition and what needs work. When I look at it, it all looks fine to my untrained eye.

Thanks,

~Trask

Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Not hard at all to do yourself. If it was me though, I would just go ahead and replace all the linkage from the pitman arm to the wheels. Your going to get an alignment anyways. I do not know the F250 suspension with 4x4. I pretty sure it is IFS on the F250 and mono beam on the F350 for that year. I think the name of the part that attatches to the pitman arm is the drag link and then there is an inner tie rod, 2 outer tie rods and the adjusters. I replaced all my steering linkage on my '89 F150 not too long ago and it was about $125 plus $50 for a 2 wheel alignment.

I had an air hammer with a pickle fork set to remove the linkage from the spindle and pitman arm. You could also do it with a hammer and pickle fork/ pitman arm fork. I would say go for it, you could replace all linkage for cheaper than a shop would charge for just doing outer tie rods. Just get everything lined up close so you can get it to an alignment shop. Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by trackerbrent
Not hard at all to do yourself. If it was me though, I would just go ahead and replace all the linkage from the pitman arm to the wheels. Your going to get an alignment anyways. I do not know the F250 suspension with 4x4. I pretty sure it is IFS on the F250 and mono beam on the F350 for that year. I think the name of the part that attatches to the pitman arm is the drag link and then there is an inner tie rod, 2 outer tie rods and the adjusters. I replaced all my steering linkage on my '89 F150 not too long ago and it was about $125 plus $50 for a 2 wheel alignment.

I had an air hammer with a pickle fork set to remove the linkage from the spindle and pitman arm. You could also do it with a hammer and pickle fork/ pitman arm fork. I would say go for it, you could replace all linkage for cheaper than a shop would charge for just doing outer tie rods. Just get everything lined up close so you can get it to an alignment shop. Hope this helps.
Oh, I forgot to mention, this is a 4x2. I recall reading in Clymers that the F250/F350 have a different setup than the F150. I'll do some reading and figure out what all the steering linkage parts are and see what that will run me. If it looks good I'll get a pickle fork kit and give it a whirl...

Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Change your tie rod ends for sure if they need it.
However, if it keeps making noise, check your bushings.
One of my E350s chewed up, and spit out the bushing from the bottom of the passenger side shock. It clunks and pops at times. Gotta get it replaced...
Another 350 van I have has a bad bushing in the arms that run forward from the I beams. I am drawing a blank on the proper name... Anyway, it pops on hard turns. Gotta replace that one too...
I got too much to fix.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If this doesn't fix it...

...click the black Bronco in my signature, scroll down, & read the TSB about frame noises.

Quick Reply: '89 F250 front suspension clunk