Pre-1997 Models

anyone made there own c.a.i. ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone made there own c.a.i. ?

was wondering if anyone on here has made there own cold air intake? if so please post pics and explain, thanks...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Plenty of options, if you search the old threads you might find some photos.

There is a larger cool air tube from the F250's IIRC, that goes through the rectangular hole next to the radiatior. A larger and more direct intake opening for use with the stock box.

Even without that, the hole is there, and could easily be plumbed up. On my truck I just did some box drilling and slapped a K&N in it, leaving the factory cool air tube in place.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford has always designed CAI from the factory, so you don't really need to do anything other than maintenance. But you can wrap plumbing insulation tape around the intake tubes to keep the air cooler, and it DOES help. If you have a V8, some people say that swapping to the I6 duct (as signmaster described) helps, but I've never seen dyno results that justify it.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
you can wrap plumbing insulation tape around the intake tubes to keep the air cooler, and it DOES help...
Now we are talking...
I did gain this info from the link you posted in the other thread.

Another thing I have always done to my FI vehicles is delete the hot water
going through the TB.
I must admit that I have noticed no gain on my SD F150,
however, on MAF engines the difference is profound.

I must however give warning:
The hot water flows through the TB for more reasons than just emissions.
It keeps the throttle blades from freezing up in cold weather, supposedly.
This is something that I have never had issue with, even driving in Minnesota
during the winter. Yet, it is supposed to be a danger nonetheless.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The coolant in the TB has nothing to do with emissions; it's strictly for de-icing. It doesn't transfer enough heat to affect the temperature of the air going past, so it doesn't affect engine performance or mileage.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
The coolant in the TB has nothing to do with emissions; it's strictly for de-icing. It doesn't transfer enough heat to affect the temperature of the air going past, so it doesn't affect engine performance or mileage.
It has some effect.
Like I said, with MAF systems, I have picked up SOTP throttle response and power by running the TB dry.
This mod is the difference between having a HOT engine and touching the TB and burning your hand, and touching the TB to find it cool.
I don't see how that big a difference could NOT have an effect on keeping the incoming air cool, WHILE insulating the air tubes would.
That is a contradiction there... and your link found plenty of power by insulating the tubes.

To say that doesn't have an effect is like saying air gap intakes, phenolic insulators, etc... are all worthless.
Not only does the TB heat the air when it has hot water flowing through, but it also transfers that same heat to the upper manifold.

As a side note:
I also pull the intakes off my vehicles and block the exaust heat risers!
That mod is done on my F150 as well.
You can put hands all over my intake and TB (above the injectors) and find it luke warm at best.
Try that with your engine when at operating temp!

Edit: Forgot about the EGR... Mine is restricted, but not deleted (yet), so I still have some heat coming in there. Glad we are talking about it though. I got to get to work on !EGR mod.

Last edited by ratio411; 07-22-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I've seen gains documented on the GM trucks from removing the TB coolant line. I really can't see icing as an issue. The older cars often did everything possible to block heat from the carbs, and I don't remember cold weather horror stories of stuck throttles from back then.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I went to the salvage yard and found the inlet tube for the airbox out of an F-350 with the 7.5 V-8. Make for a cheap ram-air setup going down the interstate...

Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 AM
look at a company called spectre performance. i'm a dealer of them and i made a custom intake using the parts. came out pretty nice. just have to hook up the intercooler now and i should be all set.

Quick Reply: anyone made there own c.a.i. ?