Pre-1997 Models

93 351 shaking and Code 311-Thermactor air system inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 93 351 shaking and Code 311-Thermactor air system inoperative

This just started a few days ago. Shakes really bad at startup and idle. Smooths out at higher RPMs and after it has ruin a while. Tranny shop thought it was not the flywheel but that it was missing. Did not have any codes or check engine light, but when he goosed the engine we got the 311. Where can I find the thermactor? Can I unplug it without a problem? Will unplugging it help to figure out if it just needs plugs/wires? Any other considerations that I might be missing? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't pick one word out of a code definition - read & understand the WHOLE thing. The "thermactor" is the catalytic converter; the "thermactor air system" is the smog pump, hoses, vacuum-operated air valves, check valves, & solenoid vacuum valves. It's also called the "secondary air system" or the "smog pump". The only things that the EEC actually monitors are the solenoids (TAB & TAD), so start there. You'll need a cheap digital multimeter ($8-50) and either a Haynes manual or a Ford service disk.

. .

I doubt the code is the reason for the bucking, though. I'd check fuel pressure & IAC performance. If you don't find anything wrong there, test the ignition system per Haynes.

Last edited by Steve83; 12-04-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 93 351 shaking and Code 311-Thermactor air system inoperative