Pre-1997 Models

'94 - Broken Int. Door Handle -- Easy Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 - Broken Int. Door Handle -- Easy Fix?

So other than my tires being replaced (from natural wear), my F-150 is runnin' dandy. The Master Brake Cylinder cracked, had it replaced professionally this time. Otherwise, the truck is good.

So I go to reach for the door handle to let a passenger in when... I guess I pulled to hard! The whole handle disconnected! I can manuver the plastic handle around in the slot where it pokes out... not good.

Is this any easy fix? I see a screw in the upper left of the plastic on the door, and one in the arm rest... how do I unhinge the window roller? What will I need to do once I've removed the panel?

Thanks,
Nathan

Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Suspended
you can buy a door handle at autozone in one of those "HELP!" packs. from the pack it looks to only be held on by one nut so it shouldn't be too hard. you may or may not have to remove the door panneling. if you do have to, then just remove all the screws in the door (including the one in the thing you pull the door shut with). then just pry the plastic away. you might as well get some new tree fastners but if you don't want to get them you can reuse the old ones. should be self explanitory when you get the door panneling off. oh, and you might the window trim on the top of the panneling. be careful, both of them on my truck are shot from being removed too many times so they just kinda float up sometimes. good luck but you shouldn't need it

Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the handle didn't come smooth out, then a HELP! handle won't fix it. Click the black Bronco in my signature & look thru the Doors album. Then read this recall & check out the diagram for the TSB:

It sounds like the inside handle mechanism ripped out of the inner door skin - I've seen it a few times before. You'll need to make a repair plate that fits inside the door for the original U-nut to go on, then reinstall the mechanism to it.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 PM
OK, so I'm looking at what I must remove for the manual window winders... do I remove a hex screw at the winder part, which will allow me to remove the plastic behind it and then pull a part the rest of the plastic, so I can remove the whole frame?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What frame? You're taking the door panel off, and yes: the window crank has to come off. I think it's a Torx-20. All the fasteners on the panel are phillips.

Quick Reply: '94 - Broken Int. Door Handle -- Easy Fix?