Pre-1997 Models

Another E4OD question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another E4OD question...

My 90 F150, 302/E4OD, lost the tranny.
It degraded to the point it was very hard to get it moving through all the slipping.

Anyway, my question is on interchange.
My local yard scored a 93 E350 with 5.7/E4OD.
Their interchange manuals say the 93 is the last year to interchange with mine.
As a bonus, the van tranny had just been rebuilt, so I figure I got a heck of a deal.

The things that worry me:

1: The van had no mechanical speedo.
The speedo port is just plugged.
My 90 has a cable and some electronics back there at the speedo port on the tailshaft.
I am concerned that if I pull that plug out of the tailshaft, that the tailshaft itself may not have the gears to run a mechcanical speedo.
Or that some of the 'guts' required won't be there.
Anyone know what I might find?

2: The linkage arm that goes into the side of the tranny is totally different on the two trannys. To the point where it is obvious that the entire arm must be removed from the inside of the tranny and slid out to be changed.

What are the things I need to look out for when I do this?
It really cheezez me off that the 93 (donor van) tranny has a nut on the outside of the linkage that allows the arm to be easily removed.
However... the 90 (truck) tranny has an arm that is one piece and the nut/linkage must be separated inside the tranny.
And... I still have'nt confirmed that the things (linkage arms) are interchangeable.
What am I in for here?!?

Fwiw:
The donor tranny is obviously fresh, has a new HD converter, and the tranny fluid was so clean that it was a shame to drain it out!
So I really need to get this thing going.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmmmm, shouldn't be a linkage on the E4OD, but I've never looked at a van tranny.

5.7?

If it's a 5.8L, the bell housing will match your 302, but a 460 or diesel van wont.

The '92-'96 4x2 trannys didn't have a provision for a speedo cable as the '92-'96 trucks have an electronic speedo. Not sure what is involved with converting a newer tranny to work with a '89-'91 4x2 E4OD trucks mechanical speedo.

Sorry for not having more info for ya.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 PM
double post

Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 PM
It's not a linkage per se, it's the MPLS (Manual Position Lever Sensor) or TRS (Transmission Range Sensor) depending on which acronym you prefer.

1) Pull the plug and look in the hole, there may or may not be a gear machined into the tailshaft. If not you're screwed; you'll need to swap tailshafts.

2) No idea on this one

Old 07-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah... 5.8L
That was a typo.

I got everything installed and the linkage was cake.

The problem is the hole for the speedo cable is there, but plugged.
I pulled the plug out to put the cable in and found the shaft has no gears cut into it to drive the speedo.

I have the wiring harness plugged into the speedo cable, but I just wire tied the cable out of the way. I hope it works.
The old tranny, you could stick your finger in the hole and feel the cable drive machined into the shaft.

I took the tail cover off to see if the shaft would be an easy swap...
No such luck. There is no way to swap without major disassembly.

The new tranny is bought and paid for, so I'll just have to use it without a speedo.
The problem might be that the computer will want to know the speed to operate the tranny.
Dave

Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Thumbs up

It's all together and driving fine.

The only problem is that I don't have a speedo, and by extension, no cruise control.

Other than that it runs out great.

The shifts are good and firm.
I am not used to that... stock Ford shifts are very sloppy.
I am pretty sure the tranny was built that way though.
The local tranny shops I have been talking to all say it is pretty much standard practice around here that they build the E4OD with stout shifts for longevity.

Anyway, that's fwiw.
Dave

Quick Reply: Another E4OD question...