Pre-1997 Models

Exhaust mods for a '93

Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust mods for a '93

Been looking into some moderate exhaust mods for my '93 5.8L. Thing is, I can't find a whole lot, and none of it is what I'm looking for(only complete kits with headers on back). As in something I can do myself in an hour or two.

Looking to spend about $300, 400 tops. I'm not so much concerned with looks(the single exhaust pipe would be fine) as I am sound or maybe a slight power gain.

I haven't really played with exhaust systems before, so I'm open to suggestions here. Would a muffler swap be good, or maybe a cat-back?

Any suggestions here?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
For that money you can get a good cat back system. On my 302 truck I picked up a stainless Gibson cat back for a little over $400 IIRC. A no brainer to put on, came with all the hardware and new hangers, etc. I think the aluminized Gibson systems are about $320 or so.

I've noticed that a lot of companies no longer advertise stuff for our older trucks, but I would guess that most of them still make the stuff or have some still in inventory.

Check with Troyer if you like the Magnaflow stuff, I'm sure if it exists he can find one. I might have gone with the Magnaflow stuff if I had waited another six months, but at the time their performance was somewhat an unknown on these forums and I didn't want to chance losing low end torque. They are a little throatier under hard throttle, but not too bad.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that. Hopefully I can find some un-advertised bargain on an exhaust for older motors.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I just started looking for a replacement today for my '91 4x4 ...
Gibson has a ss system that looks like a good deal.
http://www.gibsonperformance.com/pro...&model=666#666
PN 619655 is a single pipe cat-back system.

Best price I found was $300 (EDIT...that's for aluminized pipes)

In comparison, Summit has it in Stailness for $505....
And Amazon.com for $418.

Last edited by Retlaw66; 07-06-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 AM
That's a good price for the stainless system. At the time I got mine from Summit it was close to $400 and the best price I found at the time.

The single exit is probably the quietest Gibson system. Deeper than stock and louder, but not loud at all in comparision to a lot of systems. If you want more sound they also have two dual exit systems, one before the tire and one out the back. Both of those are a little louder, but might not retain the low end torque as much.

Mine went on easy. Good hardware and instructions, and a fairly decent looking tip. They used to give a choice on the type of tip as well.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I live in NE and I got mine done at a local shop for 450$ and what I had done was 3.5" high flow cats, then 3.5" tubing straight back to magnaflow tips, no muffler. And its stainless so it wont rust on me. And I just like it alooooot! It can be quiet in low end, but when you get into it it screams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust mods for a '93