Pre-1997 Models

Intake? Efan? Mods....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake? Efan? Mods....

Whats the best thing to do for an intake on my 1992 f-150 5.0 V8? Ive heard alot of mixed reactions on the fipk, and I cant find one under 230. So, Im open for suggestions.

Also, can someone post a link for a cheap, good efan for this make and model of truck? How big of fan do most you guys use?

Im looking to do a few minor mods to this truck, as I already have 3.5 cats then straight pipe back. I'm also fairly new to trucks, but have worked on motorcycles all my life, so please help me out guys!

Cole

Old 06-23-2007, 12:55 PM
There's no such thing as cheap HP.

High bang for the buck items which are fairly easy to install are:

E-fan: check out Flex-A-Lite model #210 or 295 but they aren't cheap.
Underdrive pullies
1.7:1 ratio roller rocker arms (not cheap either.)

If you want real power increases out of a 302, replace the heads with something that can actually breathe.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:36 AM
thats interesting Ill take it into consideration, but I honestly dont know much about some of that sort of stuff, and would like to avoid major motor and tranny mods. Any one else put their 2 cent in please????

Old 06-24-2007, 02:21 AM
basically you want a magic potion. not going to happen.

only difference with the fipk kit is i can hear the throttle body more. made the engine sound buffer but i truly dont think it did much performance wise.

thats why i made sure to get the 5.8 when i bought mine.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the best "bang for the buck" bolt in mod imo:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7367

Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Lotsa bang for lotsa bucks, but essentially you're right. I think that's probably
more money and more work than he's willing to get involved with though.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Okay, Im not looking for any magic potion. I know none of this will change all to much from the way it is now. So whats your guys take on efans, and where can I use that part # listed above, by strangeranger I think it is.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:30 AM
E-fans are worth about 10-12 HP. Available from Summit or Jeg's $250-450 depending on airflow, features etc.

Underdrive pulleys are worth about 3-5 HP also available from Summit or Jegs $75-150 dpending on brand, % of underdrive, etc.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by 1muddytruck
This is the best "bang for the buck" bolt in mod imo:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7367
I have to agree with Muddy on this on 4 grand might seem like a lot but there is more HP per buck here than anywhere else. you can spend a lot of money on greasy air cleaners and small pulleys and not get much if any HP gain but with this engine you got some horses and it is easy. I put one of these in my 67 Ranchero and set a few records with it. there are not many aftermarket mods that you just stick on the outside of your stock engine that will be worth while.

Bruce

Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I see like 14 inch electric fans made by flexilite for 120ish online. Anything wrong with these?

On the motorcycles I ride, aftermarket intakes are a must, is that the case with these trucks?

Yeeeah Ill be a little more likely to get a full new motor when the one I have goes out. I dont have a huge problem with the horsies it puts out either, so It probably wont be a 3,000 motor when does happen.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definately not say that aftermarket intakes are a must on these trucks with a stock engine. in fact, it has been debated that they do more harm than good. Sounds like a decent deal on the FAL fans. I use the Troyer set, and while I noticed some increased throttle response, I was a little pissed about some of the issues I have had with them, especially the controllers. I have them on manually operated switches now.

Also, I have heard some good things about the FRPP underdrive pulleys. However, I chose not to use them yet because I don't want my alternator spinning any slower (e-fans use a lot of juice). I am considering switching to a lightweight mechanical fan, and picking up a set of pulleys.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Throw a bigger intake, throttle body, and exhaust. Also seat of the pants feel throw in some 4.10 gears. As far as after market fans a lot of them do not cool as good as the stock fan. Trust me you do not want to skimp on the fan.

Intake something like the GT40 or the explorer intake which can be found on ebay pretty cheap.

Also be careful with under drive pulley's you can run into charging issues.

I would throw on a set of headers, intake, throttle body, and gears.

I would run true duals.

If you have the money might throw in a cam and heads.

Leave the pulleys and fan alone.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Very helpful 1 muddytruck! Much appreciated.

I am also looking into these under pullys, which is a semi new concept to me I guess. Im pretty much a motorcycle mechanic, and my knowledge ends there.

Here is the fan Ive been looking at:

http://www.1motormart.com/parts/1/19...ic+Cooling+Fan

Any objections?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:36 AM
At only 1585 CFM, Flex-a-Lite sells that one as an auxiliary fan only not as a replacement for the primary. The 295 is rated at 4600 CFM and the 210 is rated at 2500 which is probably too low if you have A/C or if you tow.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 AM
E-fans and/or underdrive pulleys free up some power. You might find a couple dyno runs on some trucks here. I think Neal picked up 10+ with his pulleys. (Keep in mind Neal pushes his truck more than most!) There are plenty of old threads with people using junkyard or aftermarket fans and making their own kits, I think the Crown Vic fans have a good following from some.

I noticed my pulleys, and got a small mileage increase to back that they were freeing up some power. For most I wouldn't suggest both pulleys and the efans, as the pulleys will slow the alternator some. Likewise if you run major audio stuff you might look at other options.

A hot coil and/or ignition box will give some gains as well. I did both, some claim the same gains can be had with just the coil and good tune up stuff. On my truck the low rev torque improved, and it would hold a gear longer without downshifting when under load. Added benefit of a fairly large MPG improvement (15% +-). In my case fuel savings alone would have been worth it.

Exhaust is a given if you are running a factory muffler. Varied opinions from just about everyone, based on the system they get. I got a Gibson system and seemed to have picked up some midrange and a little top end power.

Similar with intakes, some love them some hate them. I modded my factory box and left the cool air intake in place.

In terms of easy, pulleys and ignition are no brainers, exhaust can be a little harder, and efans similar to exhaust, not really hard but take a little more time.

If you don't have unreasonable expectations there is plenty to do. Do some searches for user name Beastie he did some of the above plus a chip if I remember correctly. He ended up with rear wheel HP at about what the factory rates the engine HP at, so probably picked up 50-60 HP.

Quick Reply: Intake? Efan? Mods....