Pre-1997 Models

AC switching between defrost and vents??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC switching between defrost and vents??

I noticed today that if I have my AC on and am under light throttle or coasting it blows like heck through the vents. If I start up a hill or incline (Under load) the AC starts blowing through the defrost vents. Is this normal for a '92 302 ?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The switch for the floor, vents and defrost are vaccuum operated. The vaccuum diaphram is right under the dash in the middle I think. You might want to look at the lines.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Just went thru this problem on my 93 302. Under the hood near the passenger side firewall, on top of the blower motor, there is a white vacuum line attached to it. This controls the recirculation door which is only used when the A/C switch is in the A/C High position. I just touched mine and it literally crumbled in my hand. I replaced just the section that was pitted and it has worked great since.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Ditto -- Exact same thing with mine. The famous white vacuum line failure!

I replaced the white plastic from end to end.

-Lance

Originally Posted by Manichee
Just went thru this problem on my 93 302. Under the hood near the passenger side firewall, on top of the blower motor, there is a white vacuum line attached to it. This controls the recirculation door which is only used when the A/C switch is in the A/C High position. I just touched mine and it literally crumbled in my hand. I replaced just the section that was pitted and it has worked great since.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 PM
My white hose is the culprit!!! However, how would you replace it from end to end. Mine goes through a tube and through the firewall. Seems like a lot of trouble? Is there an easy way without cutting that black tube open?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I got some of the smallest hose they had at my auto parts store. I made a small cut in the black tubing to open it up. The corroded part was just a little past the end of the tubing, so i cut the line where it was good and took the other end off, then i just slid the new hose over the piece coming from the firewall. I then put the other end on the vacuum motor for the recirc door. I taped the cut i made in the black tubing and everything works.

Quick Reply: AC switching between defrost and vents??