Pre-1997 Models

Smog pump??????

Old 06-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog pump??????

dose anyone know why the EPA required Ford to put the thermactor on the 4.9 manual transmission and not on the automatic. it just doesn't make since to me at all. the standard gets better MPG so it must pollute less. why did they punish the owners of standards?

Bruce

Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 PM
The standard transmission allows more transient conditions that cannot be controlled by the PCM. The thermactor allows them to clean up the emissions generated during those periods. FWIW my 49-state 96 with automatic (OBD-II) has the thermactor portsl. CA spec automatics from the early 90s reportedly also have them as well.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:22 PM
I Have taken grate pride in keeping my thermactor system in tact and working well. at first I thought I would take it off and throw it away like everyone else dose down here, but then I thought well maybe I will do my part to get rid of all of the pollution in Baja. then it dawned on me that there isn't any pollution in Baja. so then I thought well maybe some of my bad smoke will blow over to New York city and make some one ill or something. so I left it on and maintained it and my Cats much to the disgust of the local population. and now I am getting codes 311 that say it is not working at all. I have gone through and checked everything and I can assure you it is working just fine. I cant see where there are any sensors that will tell the computer that it is not working so where is HAL getting his bad info from.

Bruce

Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
If I completely disconnect the thermactor then I dont get any cods it says everything is fine I get a 111 code. how dose the OBDI computer self test this systome?

Bruce

Old 06-19-2007, 03:28 PM
anyone know anything about this

Bruce

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smog pump??????