Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Pre-1997 Models

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1985
problems with charging system

I have a 1985 ford f-150, 4.9l manual trans, 2 wheel drive. electrical system is not charging battery. changed solenoid, alternator, voltage regulator, new battery, new cables, but still no charging. any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Could be a bad fuse?
Good luck
Shane
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 11 FULLsize ole' Ford rigs
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
Howdy and welcome!

Which cables?
Did all those componets test bad or was this "shootin' in the dark"?
My bet is the fuseable link between the alt and starter relay.

Adrianspeeder
Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Expedition
Charging Troubles

Did your charging troubles get fixed? Kinda experiencing the same thing on my 98 Expedition and have replaced battery and alternator so far and both tested bad. Also my battery light and air bag light don't light up anymore when I turn the key on. Any help to get me headed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Check ground wires first. It's free, and you've gotta have good ground to be sure about anything else. I learned the hard way. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1981 ford bronco
Is your "not charging" coming from looking at the gauge, or have you put a DVOM(volt meter) on the battery while running and found out that it isn't charging? I've had two older trucks that the gauge went out on that's why I ask.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Still no Charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeJ View Post
Check ground wires first. It's free, and you've gotta have good ground to be sure about anything else. I learned the hard way. Good luck.
Thanks for replying TypeJ, Checked the grounds and they are good.

Last edited by Okivice; 03-03-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Garage is empty, add now

No Voltage change at Battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbronc View Post
Is your "not charging" coming from looking at the gauge, or have you put a DVOM(volt meter) on the battery while running and found out that it isn't charging? I've had two older trucks that the gauge went out on that's why I ask.
Thanks for replying BigBronc,

I have checked it using a DVOM on the Battery. I also took it back to the shop where I purchased the alternator and where I purchased the battery and everyones test showed that the alternator was not charging the battery. However when removed and checked the alternator checks out. Checked all connectors, grounds, and fuses with no success yet. So I am looking to see if there are any other possiblities that I am overlooking. Have a great day.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
1996 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1996 Ford F150
Do you have continuity in the cable between the alternator and the battery? Disconnect it at both ends and measure resistance in the cable. If it shows an open circuit you've found the problem
1996 F-150 XLT, reg. cab 6.5' box, 4.9 I6. E4OD w/ B&M alum sump, auxiliary cooler and external filter, Addco 1" sway-bars F&R, Bilstein shocks, 16 x 8 AR Bajas w/255/70-16s, Line-X spray in liner, hinged tonneau, Reese hitch and electric brake controller, VDO tranny and engine oil temp gages, stainless pushbar, Hella 550 fog and driving lights, Hella backup/work lights, 3.73 Trac-Lok w/ an alum. diff. cover with cap support screws, PFC "Z" brake pads, high flow cat with a 2.5" cat back with a FM 70 muffler.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Continuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger View Post
Do you have continuity in the cable between the alternator and the battery? Disconnect it at both ends and measure resistance in the cable. If it shows an open circuit you've found the problem
Thanks StrangeRanger and to all others that replied. I have quit chasing the problem. Needed to get my wife out of my vehicle, before she breaks it too, so I bought her a new vehicle. I greatly appreciate all of the assistance.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM