Pre-1997 Models

Front tank won't take fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve83
There's no check valve in that filler neck
But there is a valve in the vapor return line to the carbon canister. If it gets stuck in the closed position, there's nowhere for the system to vent except the filler neck. Since it is not filling, either there's some crud in the fill neck or it's not able to vent anywhere. If that's the case it may have taken 2 failures to produce this problem. One has been ongoing for a while and the second just happened. If the outer hose has collapsed or the inner hose has split wouldn't that eliminate the other vent path?

Old 11-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No. As I said, fuel flows thru the inner plastic tube, & the outer is steel. It's impossible for that vent path to be blocked, unless you seal it from the outside face of the filler hole, around where the pump nozzle fits in. But then, you'd see it as soon as you take the cap off.

And the only valve between the tank & carbon canister is the rollover (vapor) valve, which is also shown in that album. But the evaporative emissions system isn't sized to be active during filling, anyway. It's nowhere near large enough to handle the flow that the incoming gas creates even in new working order, so it wouldn't really matter in this context if it was plugged up, or even removed & sealed.

Remember that his '96 uses a slightly modernized version of the 1st-gen evap system; not the advanced EVAPS like '97-up, shown below.

Last edited by Steve83; 11-25-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I just finised R&R the filler neck....Didn't see anything wrong and no blockages. I also put air through the EVAP line from the tanks - not plugged. I think what happened was the inner plastic tube was not pouring into the tank - I think it was fetched up on the tank neck and was not able to pour directly into the tank. I can't see anything else wrong so I'm heading to the gas station to see how I fair out....Will keep ya posted.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While the neck was off the tank, could you see the fuel level inside?

Old 11-25-2006, 04:16 PM
All fixed. Must have been a kink or something in the filler tube....I could fill it up with the nozzle wide open. The tank was a 1/4 full as I stated, it only took $40cdn to fill it up the rest of the way. I made sure the inner hose was all the way in the tank when I put it back on.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:45 PM
That would make sense except that it used to work and then suddenly quit. A problem like a misassembled hose would have come from the factory and would never have worked properly.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes but someone has removed it since it was new as the previous owner put a new gas tank on it. It always was a little sensitve but then all of a sudden it was super sensitive.

Quick Reply: Front tank won't take fuel.