Pre-1997 Models

New Negative Battery Cable......Location

Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Negative Battery Cable......Location

Ok, I have heard that it don't matter where you connect your negative battery cable....... as long as its to the frame, engine block...... somewhere where there is a good ground....... is this true? I believe my intermittent starting problem is corroded negative cable, replaced thebattery terminal on it and noticed green corrosion going in the cable...... so would like to attach the new one to a easier location for replacement....ie alternator bracket.....or thick metal brace above radiator?? Any suggestions would be appreciated......Thanks...

Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I went to the alt bracket on my 88 for the engine connection.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Cool

Well.... removed old cable..... it was bad looking..... used some degreaser and sand paper on bolt and area where cable was going back on....... wiped off the bolt and put it back where it was with the new cable....... and now the same..... clicks and thats it....... read battery.... it was 12.50 volts.....new cables on battery...... tight connections..... but still zip for starting.......there is a ghost in the beast........ just ain't figured where yet.......

Old 02-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
What happens if you take a jumper cable from one side of the starter relay to the other? Make sure your in Park or Neutral.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227632

Last edited by StrangeRanger; 02-15-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Cool

Well didn'tget to jump it yesterday but did see something not good yesterday when I was tightening the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid......I could still move the cable at that connection.....the cable and post on the solenoid was moving......so I went and bought a new starter solenoid...... hopefully that will do the trick...... ever hear of the post turning..... ie maybe too much torque on the post?? Let me know what you think and I'll post after I replace it and tell if it worked or not.......

Old 02-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my old '89 with the 460 i ran a new neg cable to the starter

and make sure the chassis ground is good also

...zap!

Old 02-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Cool

New starter solenoid didn't help....... same click just louder at solenoid....... wondering about the starter cable....... is old...... could be corroded inside.....what do you think........by the way the battery postive post was the one not tightening good and tight.... and was the one movingwith cable

One more cable then all heavy cables will have been replaced........now to remember if I can reach that bolt with the starter connected to the truck....

Old 02-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Cool

Seems like the starter cable was one of the problems...... even though it looked better then the battery cables did........hey what are the vacum lines coming out right behind the carb go to and where in the cd shop manual can you find them........ 4 WD was out the other day but didn't know why....... hubs were in lock position....... tried in 4 hi and 4 low but only back tires were getting the power........ took it home and checked under the hood around the vac lines and found one pinched right near the connection..... and it led to a small bowl looking thing that had 2 other vac lines running off o fit.... so I cut the smashed hose part off and put the hose back on the fitting..... it was splitting as it was going on so figure I need to replace that section of hose...... does this sound like it has anything to do with the 4wd working? I looked at the trasmission part and transfer case section..... but none of them show or mention vac lines......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Negative Battery Cable......Location