Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Pre-1997 Models

Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Setting the timing...correctly 90 5.0

What procedure do you go through to set the timing. I did it the way I was told but went to start it and it blew smoke out of the throttle body . its a 0990 f150 5.0L.

I set the dampener to 0 the ajusted the distributor where the arm was pointed straigt back and place the cap on where the dot was to the back as well. Where did I go wrong? thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1987 Ford F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFletch90
What procedure do you go through to set the timing. I did it the way I was told but went to start it and it blew smoke out of the throttle body . its a 0990 f150 5.0L.

I set the dampener to 0 the ajusted the distributor where the arm was pointed straigt back and place the cap on where the dot was to the back as well. Where did I go wrong? thanks

Did you pull the spout out on the harness under the distributor? If you don't your timing will be off nearly 7-10 degrees.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Garage is empty, add now

No I did not remove the spout. I thought that was only used if your were timing with a timing light. So if I remove the spout and redo the timing as I had said I did before I should be good?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 11 FULLsize ole' Ford rigs
Send a message via AIM to adrianspeeder Send a message via MSN to adrianspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to adrianspeeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFletch90
No I did not remove the spout. I thought that was only used if your were timing with a timing light. So if I remove the spout and redo the timing as I had said I did before I should be good?
Ummm, you need a timing light to do the timing correctly...
Old 01-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1987 Ford F-150
Interesting. no timing light. I'm good at ball parking but not that good. People second guess timing lights let alone ball parking. Use a quality timing light. Pull the spout when checking the timing.

Pulling the spout overrides the computer and doesn't allow it to adjust the timing with RPM, LOAD, or temp calculated in.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1989 ford f150
Send a message via AIM to bluneon Send a message via Yahoo to bluneon
so just pull the SPOUT and then go ahead and hook up the pick up to #1 plug wire and have at it?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 FORD F150
When you pull the SPOUT and use the timing light set it 10* BTDC.
Did you pull out the distributor?
If you did you need to make sure that the #1 cylinder is on compression with the crank pointer at TDC when you put the distributor in.
Also make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 spark plug wire when the distributor is dropped in.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 AM