Pre-1997 Models

1992 ford f-150 transmission type?

Old 12-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 ford f-150 transmission type?

I have a 1992 ford f-150 with a 6 cyl in-line, automatic transmission, power steering, A/C, and 8 foot bed. What type of transmission do I have? I think it is a C-4, but I am not sure. I have a neutral safety switch problem. I can start the truck when it is in neutral, but it wont start when it is in park. Sometimes I have to move the shift lever (on the column) around a little to get it started when it is in neutral. I think the switch is out of adjustment, but I am not sure. I havn't looked at it yet, as I just got back from some Christmas traveling. I have Haynes repair manual for my truck, and it shows a procedure for adjusting this switch, but I have never done it before. Are there any other electrical components in the starting system that could cause a failure like I described above?

Old 12-29-2005, 04:09 PM
If you have an OD tranny, you have an E4OD.
Your problem is not with the neutral safety switch, the E4OD doesn't have a separate one. That function is incorporated into the transmission range sensor (TRS) which is located on the LH side of the tranny. They are famous for coming just slightly out of adjustment. Your Haynes should cover that as well.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
E4OD was the standard automatic in 92 for the F150/Bronco. The F-250+s however could still get the C6.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...60#post1832360

The E4OD will have an overdrive lockout button on the shifter and a door jam code of E.

Check out that TRS and you should be good to go.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 PM
weird stuff going on

I have 2 haynes manuals-one was printed in 1994 and the other 1995. Both of them make no mention at all of the Transmission Range Sensor. They both show that I have a neutral safety switch instead. I went searching on the web out of curiosity, so I punched in "1992 ford f-150" AND "transmission range sensor" at google. I got absolutely nothing there-no info at all. I went to the motorcraft site to look up the part there, and they show a listing for a neutral safety switch for a 1992 ford f-150, but make no mention at all of a transmission range sensor. The haynes manual shows how to adjust the neutral safety switch, but they show nothing at all on adjusting the transmission range sensor. How do you do it?

Old 12-30-2005, 06:09 AM
Try "Manual Lever Position Sensor", or "MLP Sensor" instead. It's what you've got.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:52 AM
special tool?

The manual calls for a special tool that ford makes to adjust the manual lever position sensor. Do you really need it to do this? Also, the manual doesn't give a clear procedure on adjusting this sensor. It just says "position MLPS and tighten the retaining bolts securely". I am sure there is more to it than that. How do you adjust this sensor? Is it trial and error, or do you adjust it to a specific position that the special tool will enable? The manual is very brief on this component, and gives little to go on.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Thumbs up found some info on MLPS

I did alot of research on the web, and found very little info on adjusting the manual lever position sensor on an E4OD transmission. I did find one web page that gave an in-depth procedure on electrical troubleshooting of the sensor, but no advice on adjusting the position of it. I then found some info in a forum that proved very useful, in the form of a picture. I am posting the link to the picture along with this post for everyone to see. Although the picture is not of a ford truck MLPS, it nevertheless came off a mercury and is very similar to what I have on my truck, except the connector is on the top of the sensor. I cleaned all the black gook off of my sensor with alcohol and an acid brush, and found a very similar neutral mark on the body of the sensor, and the index mark on the plastic collar is also very similar. My sensor is in position, and needs no adjusting. I pulled off the connector and looked at the tabs inside the female connector on the sensor, and there was a little corrosion on them. After re-attaching the wire harness to the sensor, my truck started up in park twice in a row. I will monitor how it starts over the next few weeks to see if it really was corrosion, or if the sensor is on the way out. To adjust the sensor, you do not need the special tool ford calls for in the manual. All you do is loosen the two locknuts after placing the truck in neutral, and move the sensor slowly until the two lines line up, just as indicated in the picture, and then tighten the locknuts. Here is the link:
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...a.php?id=81709

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1992 ford f-150 transmission type?