Pre-1997 Models

5.0 mods for MPG

Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 mods for MPG

I may be getting a '91 5.0 SuperCab in the very near future, and need some . The truck will be my daily driver (short-term, hopefully) but it's main purpose its to pull our travel trailer. What mods will maximize the MPG potential of this truck? FWIW, it has an automatic tranny. As always $$$ is somewhat limited. A tune-up kit is a given (plugs, cap, rotor, wires...saw an nice Accel kit in Summit). I was thinking of 1) a MAF conversion or 2) for similar $$$ keep the speed density, and do an FIPK, 3" cat, 3" si/so cat-back system, and *MAYBE* shorty headers. I don't want the truck to be too loud. The mellower the better, as it'll see highway cruising mostly. I just want to improve efficiency as much as possible, to maximize the MPG. Thanks for any opinions.

Last edited by dwmilton; 10-12-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 AM
And the rear end ratio is???
That is the single most important determinant of mileage.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Careful with the exhaust, an exhaust system with low backpressure will increase higher rpm horsepower but it reduces low end torque which will cause a decrease in gas milage, especially when towing.

-Jon

Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 PM
I'll have to get back to you eventually on the rearend gearing, as I have no clue, and the truck is not here where I can get numbers off of it. If it matters at all the truck is an XLT Lariat model, were they the most common?

Old 10-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was getting 8mpg out of my '96 302 4x4 for a while, before I made the following mods for performance reasons:
K&N intake
Flowmaster si/do
Hypertech CPU tuner
The performance increase was well worth it, but the mileage increased to 10mpg which was really sweet! 2mpg sounds like no biggie, but that's 25% better than 8mpg! It was still lacking low end grunt, with the 33" tires killing the gear ratio, so I recently replaced the diff's with 4:10's and an Eaton Limited Slip pack in the rear. I've been smiling ear to ear since. No stable MPG numbers to report yet, since I haven't driven it NORMALLY for 2 full tanks yet since then. Will follow up soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0 mods for MPG