Pre-1997 Models

electric fan

Old 09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
electric fan

Hello all,

My fan clutch is starting to go and since it is starting to get cool I am going to fix it in the next month or so. I'm thinking about replacing it with an electric fan since I will be in there anyway. My main question is has anyone noted a difference in mileage? Also, I have a stock 95 xl, with the 4.9 straight 6. no power anything. Would my alternator be able to handle the extra load? (I'd figure I have a little bit of reserve since I don't have power anything)

I would like an electric fan setup, but the only real reason to do so is $$$-- if I would save on gas and not have to change my alternator it would pay for itself (pretty quick at these gas prices)-- but if there is no gas savings and/or I have to go thru the expense of changing my alternator out I'll probably just put in a clutch and be done-- simpler, less expensive and it works. I hear a lot about the power freed up by an electric fan, but that alone is not enough to go through the hassle and added expense.

Any input would be appreciated.
thanks
Andrew

Old 10-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think your alt could handle it, I am not sure if there is a differance on the 4.9l alts for options or not. But as i noticed with my ols Mustang 302's I went to an electric fan I gotmuch better cooling and fewer issues due to heat stress. As for MPG, I dunno I flogged on my cars. lol

John

Old 10-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Thumbs up

I don't drive my F150 that much to keep tabs on milage, I have a set on my Z71 and picked up around 0.5mpg... not much. The Ford probably got about 1 more as the fan is metal, which equates to more drag and wear on the H2O pump bearings.

Also, I wouldn't run e-fans with a stock alt. 130A is what I'd recommend at least. The OE 90A on many later trucks may be okay with a 1.75" pulley swap... but I'd still look for a used 130A. 6/12 position 3Gs are $15 here...

You gain around 7rwhp over an unlocked clutch and something like 16 over a locked one! Gains are nice, the motor revs easier too. I wouldn't use an On/Off only fan controller either. I like ones that soft start the fans and run at 50% until temp needs them at 100%. Less load on the alternator. Delta Current Control is what I'm upgrading my FlexALite VSC to here soon.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 AM
i have a 94 f150 with a 5.0 and i have a dual electric fan system on my truck. i noticed a difference with the e fans on there. also it helps out with more horsepower. i really dont know how much it helped me out on gas because i really dont pay that much attention on how may mile per gallon i get. i also have the stock alternator on my truck with underdive pulleys as well as a sound system and it holds up great. what i recomend though is changing out the battery and putting in a optima batter whenever you do it. you can try troyer performance to get a fan kit for your truck. thats where i purchased mine.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I have a 94 & 05. I am thinking about putting electric fans on both. The cost of $395 per truck from Troyer is slowing me down. Are there any other 'kits' for the electric fans?
Roger

Old 11-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I had a single large electric on my 302 Bronco. It made lots of noise and drew 30 amps. Burned clips off internal circuit board. I still have Bronco and fan. Fan is now in the attic waiting for a garage sale...

Old 11-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Gas Milage?

Why are some many hung up on gas milage? It's a 4 wheel drive man.......screw mpg's. I got my 4x4 new in 91, and gas milage wasn't the frickin reason!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 AM
i just put two hayden 14" fans on my 4.9l f150. one as a puller on the back of my radiator and one as a pusher on the front of my ac condenser. does anyone know where the ac compressor wire is to get the fans to cycle with the compressor?
I have the chiltons guide and they leave out the A/C part because you have to be "certified" which i understand but it makes it very frustrating at times like these. I do not have a volt meter or the knowledge to use one so if anyone does know where this rouge contact point is, please be very specific.

Last edited by oldf150; 07-03-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I had an 85 Chevy truck I bulit for a HOTROD street truck. I converted it to serpentine nelt and all and put electric fans. Electric fans actually made the motor strain more because of the load on the alternator. It has to work harder to make more power for the fans. I removed that and put the clutch fan back on nut I used a newer style 11 blade plastic fan. That worked FANTASTIC, the only way I could use that was because I converted it to the reverse rotation serpentine system.

Now I dont know how this would work with FORDS but I was just giving my experience with the electric fans.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
An e-fan is inherently less-efficient than mechanical, but it has other advantages if the PCM is programmed to use it. A '95 F150's isn't.

So you can put an e-fan on if you want, but don't expect the MPGs to go up, unless you change your driving style &/or air up the tires.

I put e-fans on my Bronco & my CV (for different reasons), and I'll probably keep them that way forever. The Bronco was only because I had the fan when the clutch went bad, so it was cheaper for me.

Definitely swap to a 130A 3G alternator if you go to an e-fan, and always make sure your coolant & temperature gauge are maintained. If the fan dies, there's no backup like on later vehicles.

The Mark VIII e-fan (which is the most popular) won't fit a 4.9L, but there are plenty of OE fans that will, and they're pretty cheap in junkyards. Do some measuring & shopping.

Here's how the one on the Bronco is wired:

It's safe, simple, cheap, reliable, & effective. The one on the CV is PCM-controlled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electric fan