Pre-1997 Models

Newbie Question About Gages

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie Question About Gauges

Hi everyone, I just bought a 1995, Ford F150, 4.9, reg cab, LWB, 2wd. I bought it from my dad. It has 73K on it and was very well taken care of. In the family we have a total of three 1995 4.9's. My dad has a F250 and my sister and I both have identical F150's.

From what I have been told this body style or year of truck has horrible gauge problems. On my truck (which has two gas tanks) when the front gas tank is selected the gauge does not work at all. Also my temp gauge will peg hot then when it feels like it will come back down to normal. My fathers and sisters truck have similar problems also.

I want to get this problem fixed. What is causing this problem to occur gauges, wires, sensors, etc. I don’t want to have the original Ford crap fixed then in a couple of years have it happen again. I guess I am asking is there a way you can fix this problem for good?

Thanks Bennett,

Last edited by SnapB75; 09-21-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome! Whats goin on down in your neck of the woods?

Gauges:

The gas gauge is one of few that actually tell you something. If one tank doesn't work, the sender in that tank is broken. I just replaced mine in my 88 bronco, and my 92 needs one too, but the broncos are harder to pull the tank on than the Fseries.

Oil gauge. Just an idiot light with a needle. In fact ford made it so it wouldn't move so that **** retentive people wouldn't keep coming in for service.

Volt gauge. Same as oil gauge.

Temp gauge. Not the most accurate way to tell what the coolent temp is, so if you are concerned, add a real water temp gauge for cheap.

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Howdy and welcome! Whats goin on down in your neck of the woods?

Gauges:

The gas gauge is one of few that actually tell you something. If one tank doesn't work, the sender in that tank is broken. I just replaced mine in my 88 bronco, and my 92 needs one too, but the broncos are harder to pull the tank on than the Fseries.

Oil gauge. Just an idiot light with a needle. In fact ford made it so it wouldn't move so that **** retentive people wouldn't keep coming in for service.

Volt gauge. Same as oil gauge.

Temp gauge. Not the most accurate way to tell what the coolent temp is, so if you are concerned, add a real water temp gauge for cheap.

Adrianspeeder
In Baton Rouge I would say that most everybody is finally settling down but I don’t have to get in all the day to day traffic b/c I work at night. My opinion would most likely be different if I worked 9 to 5.

Thanks for your info. I thought about replacing the gauges with ones that where of better quality but my problem is this...

Let’s say that I put a new temp gauge in my truck on the pillar or some where else on the dash. Now I will have two temp gauges on my dash and one will not work. I don’t like that. Is there any way to replace the factory gauges with some new ones that will directly take the place of the old ones? Kind of like putting a suspension lift on your truck. You are not adding extra shocks and springs you are replacing the old shocks and springs with new ones.

I hope this make sense!

Old 09-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, you can do anything you want really, but sounds like you should remove the stock gauges from the dash, cut circles, and add real gauges.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Newbie Question About Gages