Pre-1997 Models

1986 F-150...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 F-150...

Hey everyone,

I have an old 150 that needs a little love. Bodywork is going to be done soon by a friend. My question is: Are there any sites for customizing this generation of truck? Id like to spiff up the interior and add some creature cumforts but I have no idea where to find the parts. Id like to start with some bucket seats.Would that be doable? How about parts from later years? Are there any easy swaps I can make? Any info would be really helpful and of course appreciated. Bodywork is going to start next week so Im trying to plan ahead. Ill see about posting some pics of her present condition. Its not pretty though...

Thanks,
Luis S

Old 09-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Get that Visa card warmed up and order yourself a catalog from www.lmctruck.com

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-17-2005, 10:40 AM
LOL! Tell me about it! Im gonna rack up something aweful restoring this beast. I do happen to have that catalog. Im just lookin for any sources for custom ideas and parts. I know anything is pretty much possible in the custom world, I was just looking for some ideas. For example, how hard would it be to put a late model interior into this truck? Say a mid 90's F-150's dash and seating. Is it doable? Its current interior needs a little life pumped into it. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Luis S

Old 09-17-2005, 12:48 PM
I tell ya thoose 86's means alot to me back when i was younger we went through a 5 or 6 hundred dollar truck every few years and in 90 we got this 86 xlt lariat one of the prettiest blues i have still yet to see and i think it was one of the first years with the 302HO and that truck would go kept it till 93 and traded it in for a new truck which i still drive today.... And like you im fixing to be doin a rebuild on within the next month but nothing major though my dad would just put oil in everyday never let it run low but im about to have to change every seal in the engine but good luck and if you need any info from my 93 lariat for ideals for your 86 just let me know...

Daniel

Old 09-17-2005, 04:13 PM
daniel3312,

Mine is an xlt Lariat as well. Original color is red with the creamy/white in the middle. I I going to change it though. Im considering going silver. Cost really narrowed down the choices in color for this project. Just to give you guys an idea of what im going to do herea tenative list:

-Paint it silver and add some nice pin striping.
-newer more modern body moulding. Im getting rid of those big honkin strips of plastic on the side
-New badges! Maybe use the ones from the current F-150 and maybe a lariat badge as well.
-billet grill
-tires and rims.Nothing to fancy but something to spiff it up a bit.
-dual exaust
-rhino liner
-bed rail caps
-New mirrors. Those things on the door with the arms have to go!

Thats just off the top of my head. this is a project im taking on because it was my dads truck and before I purchase another vehicle Id like to give it back to him better than new.

Where I need the help is with the inside. I dont have a clue what can be swapped with what. So any suggestions are more than welcome.Do you know if 93 parts can be retrofitted? LMK.

Thanks,
Luis S

Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Dont hold me to it i really arent sure but they say the bodystyle which replaced the 86 in 87 shared alot with the 86 just (in fords mind a more modern design) then they changed again in 92 with the same theory but alot of people have said that alot of parts were the same such as beds and mechanical parts so i think youd be ok on more of the parts than most would imagine but im kinda takin a special intrest in the project so anything i can do be sure to hollar

Daniel

Old 09-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the help. I suspected as much since nothing REALLY changed till 97(?) I guess I wont know for sure till I start taking the inside apart. One problem maybe that the interior of the inside is red (gross...) and Im not sure that was an option in later models. If I have to change the interior color it might become a little more work than I thought. Truthfully though I cant wait to get started. Its going to be neat seeing her brought back to life. Ill be sure to keep updating the thread as I go. And please post if you have any ideas or info. Ill try to get some pics of her present condition up sometime this week before work gets started on her. Then you guys can see the long road ahead.

Thanks,

Luis S

Old 09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
80-86 interiors are really different from the 87-91 which are really different from the 92-96s

Note these pics from my 84, 88, and 92 broncos...

Adrianspeeder

Last edited by adrianspeeder; 10-09-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:33 PM
I just resently picked up a wrecked 86. It needs a front clip but it runs good with only 74K on it. It does seem there isnt a lot of aftermarket stuff for these truck at all but I would love to have that wood grain XLT dash trim in the pic above. BD

Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 PM
sounds like you came out ok.check ebay they have lots of parts for theese trucks also any salvage yard would have the wood grain panels for the interior cause i think most of the xlt's had it good luck....

Daniel

Old 10-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey guys!

I didnt forget about you all,well maybe a little. Anyway truck has been painted and is waiting for me to pick it up. I would have loved to have shown you guys some before pics but I just could never make it to the shop. Im going to head over there this afternoon to pick it up. I let you guys know how it goes. And this time Ill get some pics I promise! The only thing that has me worrried is that my dad picked the color scheme and the replacement mirrors. Now, nothing against my dad, but the man has never been one to have a great sense of style. Im crossing my fingers though so well see. Ill be back later with an update.

Later,

Luis s

Old 10-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Talking

Pics are in the gallery! Sorry if they came out a little dark it was getting a little late by the time I cleaned her up. Let me know what you think!

Later,

Luis S

Old 10-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Sharp...

My favorite body style by far.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 1986 F-150...