Pre-1997 Models

4.9L F150 is dead now.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4.9L F150 is dead now.

Well as if my other thread about the door handle wasnt bad enough, it gets better!

A little History:

95 F150 4.9L I6 Speed Density, E4OD, 220K miles. The truck has been maintained meticulously since new, and I replaced a lot of things at 210K,

Copper Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Ignition Coil, Battery, Belt, Tensioner Pulley, Fuel Filter,Idle Control Valve, O2 Sensor, Trans Fluid/Filter, all Motorcraft. THis was a precautionary/take care of something that has given me 10 years of service and never left me stranded maintenance.

At 212K, the truck started running rough, and the dealer replaced the cylinder head (hairline cracks along 4,5, and 6 Exhaust valves). The truck ran beautifully since then, returning me 14 mpg and running flawlessly.

Truck currently has 220K on it, and last week, it started running rough when started, shaking a little and if I aided the throttle a little bit (12/1400 RPM) the idle wouild come down and smooth out. I did notice, the power was less than usual, but shrugged it off as all in my head.

This week, the truck only exhibited the rough running/shuddering at start up, and at idle in drive at a stoplight, the truck idles lower than usual, but ran fine. This weekend, to try to resolve the issue, I replaced the Fuel Filter, Motorcraft Copper Plugs, and a new Igntion Cap and Rotor. The truck ran the same.

TOday, I was going down the highway, around 70 mph, the tach started to jump/waver a little, so I gave it a little gas to goose it out a little, and the tach fell even more.

The more I tried to feather it, the lower the tach showed. I thought, hmm, maybe the tranny? I pushed the OD button, and the truck still stuttered. I thought hmm, fuel pump. Swapped to the rear tank, same thing. The truck finally died, I coasted into a parking lot and had it towed home.

So far this is what I have found:
-Have Spark From COil
-Have Spark from distributor
-Truck Cranks, and will run horribly if it sits for more than 20 mins, but dies after 15 seconds or so.

I'm going to check fuel pressure, and check for codes tomorrow. I'm guessing its either the regulator or perhaps bad gas? Both the tanks are full. [Frown]

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance, gonna roll the Marauder to work tomorrow!

W

Old 09-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See if it runs any different with the spout connector removed. This will help you narrow down where to look for the problem.

Quick Reply: 4.9L F150 is dead now.