Pre-1997 Models

OK What does the code really mean?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK What does the code really mean?

OK.... HiOSlvr has still been having the slightly annoying stumble. This happens always in the morning when leaving for work. But does happen randomly pretty much anytime. I've replace the throttle position sensor, ran ALOT of SeaFoam thru the system ( which seems to help some ), new O2 sensor, fuel filter in other words, most of the standard stuff.
Just purchased a new scanner ( instead of the stupid blinking led model ) Ford Digital Scanner ( Model Number 3145 ) at the new O'Reily's Auto Part here for around $40.00 and have gotten a KOEO Continous Memory Code of 179. The book says this is a HEGO (HO2S) sensor fault unable to switch / rich during part throttle. Uhhh.. OK and that is??? I have been considering new or rebuilt injectors since she has soooo many miles but this seems to point somewhere else. Any suggestions folks? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It means that your running rich at idle. You need to:
First, check your running fuel pressure. It needs to be between 45 and 60psi.
Next, shut off the engine, and see if the pressure changes over 60 seconds. It shouldn't.
Next, have your MAP sensor checked.
Next, do a cylinder balance test. With the engine running, disconnect the injectors one at a time, and see if the engine stumbles slightly. If it does each time, then the problem is in your ignition. If it doesn't stumble when you disconnect one or more of the injectors, suspect a problem with that injector, or the wiring to it.

Between you and me, I'd replace the injectors anyway. The 4.9L are infamous for having injector issues, and your description sounds classic to me.

Take care,
~Chris

Old 09-01-2005, 03:10 PM
PW,
Thanks for the suggestions I was actually SO leaning towards the injectors anyway ( based on things I had read with the 4.9s and my mileage ). What do you think about purchasing injectors that have been "rebuilt" vs new?
(Hey, like I've always said I'm very frugal but really have to be.) I've seen them posted for like $50 a set with complete flow bench print outs.

Thanks again!

Old 09-01-2005, 03:16 PM
PW,
Completely forgot.. the Bush gallery is SWEET!
Man now that's a hook-up there!

Later

Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pre-Runner
PW,
Thanks for the suggestions I was actually SO leaning towards the injectors anyway ( based on things I had read with the 4.9s and my mileage ). What do you think about purchasing injectors that have been "rebuilt" vs new?
(Hey, like I've always said I'm very frugal but really have to be.) I've seen them posted for like $50 a set with complete flow bench print outs.

Thanks again!

I bought a set of rebuilt ones from a great guy on eBay (can't remember his name, though) a couple years ago, and they were very inexpensive. Unfortunately, two of them didn't work, but the guy sent me a second set, free of charge, which worked. Personally, I can't justify buying them new.

Originally Posted by Pre-Runner
PW,
Completely forgot.. the Bush gallery is SWEET!
Man now that's a hook-up there!

Later

Okay, now I'm stupid. Huh?

Old 09-01-2005, 07:39 PM
The Bush ( racing ) gallery at your page.... SWEET...

No I wasn't talking politics, beans or beer....

Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Ohhhhhh, you mean Busch! I was trippin'. I thought maybe I turned you on to some political or **** stuff, and I couldn't remember!

It sucks getting old. lol

Old 09-09-2005, 03:10 PM
FWIW, I worked for them again last week at Fontana. Our car blew a tire and crashed on the 10th lap, but I still had a full weekend of fun. I took a bunch of pics and posted them here.

Me and my buddy Gary from the observation deck on top of our hauler...

Old 09-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Man... I need a hook up like that... AND You need to supply them with some pics for their web site! I'll have to start following that team some they seem to have had just a little bad luck lately...

Quick Reply: OK What does the code really mean?