Pre-1997 Models

gear and locker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear and locker?

ive got 93 f150 4x4 I6 5 speed. it has 4"lift and 33x12.5s. it has 3.08 gears and open diff. i want to upgrade to 4.10s and a locker (or trak loc or something)

my question is what brand gears should i get? any that you guys recommend? and i want a locker or something for the rear. i dont really want to spend a whole lot on it. also what other stuff do i need to look for when buying them. i should get an installation kit, or rebuild kit with all new seals and what not right?

anyother advice would be appreciated, thankyou

Old 08-27-2005, 04:49 PM
For rear gears, avoid Richmond. They're third-world sweatshop pot metal junk. On the plus side there's Precision Gear, Ford Racing Parts, US Gear and several others.

With 31 spline 8.8" rear you have a couple of traction device options: the Ford Trac-Lok is a clutch type limited slip, the Eaton is a heavier duty clutch-type limited slip, the Auburn is a cone type limited slip. The Trac-tech C-Locker is a ratcheting locker, the Torsen T2 is a torque proporting differential plus there are air and electric lockers and there are drop-in lockers like the Powertrax.

Without knowing what you want to do with the truck and without knowing what level of expertise you have at rear end work it's tough to make a recommendation. Since you've got a 4X4, I assume you want more off-road capability but that sometimes comes at the expense ofon-road tractibility, especially in snow and ice. Tell us what you're after.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:17 PM
the truck is a daily driver, i live in wisconsin so i drive a lot in slick conditions. and maybe once every other month i go offroad. mainly mud, and little rock hills.

i have experience with installing gears, but i have never installed a locker or limited slip unit before.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
There's no installation issues with any aftermarket traction diff, if you know how to set up a rear end properly. They are all pretty much a bolt-in except that minor manufacturing differences are ging to give you different shim sets.

So the question becomes what kind of device meets your needs. Any locker is going to be better off-road than any limited slip, unfortunately, any locker will also cause more driving problems on icy pavement than any limited slip. If you're comfortable with the tendency of lockers to get twitchy in the ice and snow, it's a better way to go for when you do take it into the mud.

Quick Reply: gear and locker?