Pre-1997 Models

94 F150 2x4 conversion to 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 F150 2x4 conversion to 4x4

Hey all,

Been thinking of converting my truck into a 4x4. Been talking to alot of friends about what's involved and how much work.

I have a 3.08 non-ls rear end, 4R70W Transmission, and 5.0L engine. Everything is good on it, but it drives horribly in the winter and I wouldn't mind doing some off-road stuff in the summer.

I was thinking of doing this mod, but have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering them for me. Sorry if this is a double post, I searched and couldn't find much about it.

1. If I were to convert, will I need to swap out the rear dif to match the front one's gear ratio?

2. I figured that everything would fit, but don't know for sure. Should everything fit?

3. Is the E40D Transmission the best one to get?

4. Would I save myself time and money for basically the same outcome if I just replaced the rear diff to something with LS in it?

5. How much time am I looking at to do the job completely?

Thanks all for your time and input!

Old 08-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy,

Unlike the newer IFS trucks, these older ones are actually doable for a 4x4 conversion. What would make the job "easy" is a slighty wrecked or junked engine donor truck.

Basicly here are some points...

New tranny that can accept a transfer case and obviously a transfer case. An E4OD would be my choice for an auto, or you can go with a ZF5 if you want a bulletproof stick. The front axle you have some choices. You can do a direct swap of a Dana 44 TTB of of a F150, or if your fab skills are sharp I would do a solid axle swap (search SAS) with a Dana 60 off of a F350.

3.o8s are gonna suck if you go with bigger tires. At least a 3.55 or maybe 4.10s. What size tire are you gonna run?

If all of that is too much, a locker in the rear end would be a cool thing to have. A locked 4x2 with some skill can go darn near everywhere a 4x4 can.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Adrian and thanks for the response!

Yes, definately I was looking into picking up a donor from the local scrapheep to help me with the conversion. Hopefully I can find one with a good tranny and go from there. Probably for sure stick with the TTB setup. My skills are not that sharp and a Dana 60 is a bit overkill for what I need it for.

I'd probably stick with the auto, so E40D tranny was the one I was looking at.

As for tire size, I haven't gotten into too much of the details but definately looking at something 31" and bigger - probably superswampers. If I were to do the conversion I'd probably be venturing into some sort of lift kit also -- 4" would do it.

Thing is, and my father in law is quick to point out. That it's not alot of gain for all the work I am willing to do. I was told that I'd probably be better off either fixing my rear end with a better diff and just give it anyways offroad or get a second 4x4 for fun. Or selling the truck off and buying a 4x4 already done (which it probably will never be knowing how I am).

I don't really see myself getting too deep into the offroading hobby, but I'd like to go out with my friends and their jeeps on a few weekends and not have them pull me out all the time

I'd like to see what my options are for lockers in the rear end. Got any suggestions that would work with my current axle?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by appleton; 08-14-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:17 AM
For sure it would be a heck of a lot easier to just get a 4x4 that Ford put together in the first place, but whats the fun in that??? hahahah

The only 4x2 we have is the 66 F250 and that has a detroit locker as far as I can tell, but I have no idea whats available for the 8.8 as I never looked into it.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 AM
So do you think in my case I'd be better off putting a locker in the rear end or doing the conversion?

Old 08-14-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by appleton
So do you think in my case I'd be better off putting a locker in the rear end or doing the conversion?
Do Locker in rear end first.

If you don't like it or need more off road capabilities, sell it and buy a factory built 4x4.
Coinsidentaly guy I used to work with tried the conversion on a 92 F150 4x2 with a 3.08 non-LS (five speed).... to say the least after all the odds and ends he said it would have been more time and cost efficient to just have gotten a 4x4 from the factory.

Hey, ya never know, if you did it sucessfully it would be a pretty good feeling to drive afterwards. (I'm sure you bank account would'nt feel quite as jovial.)

Old 08-14-2005, 10:09 AM
I agree with above. Unless you wanna do it for the challenge or the fun of it, go with either a second truck, or a locker. I would also go with 3.55 or 3.73 or something to give you more grunt.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: 94 F150 2x4 conversion to 4x4