Pre-1997 Models

Okay, maybe it wasn't the tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Okay, maybe it wasn't the tires

After having 2 different places tell me that they couldn't believe how out-of-round the tires were (Cooper somethings) I went to WalMart and put 4 new tires on the truck (92 F150 4x2). They were blowing out Wranglers in the right size for $55 each, and that's a good deal, I don't care who you are. So on they go, and away I went thinking "boy it'll be nice to have a smooth ride again."

Wrong-o, MaryLou.

It's a bit better, but there's still a definite vibration from 30-65 or so, worse at higher speed. So now I'm thinking driveshaft out of balance, maybe? Or bad u-joints? Anybody have a similar experience? Need some answers here before I go nuts from the shaking.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:01 PM
did you check the brakes?

Last edited by RedWonder97; 06-21-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:02 PM
wow thats a hell of a deal.... i have 31 inch cooper discoverer h/t's on mine and they need to be changed..... what size wranglers were they selling for 55 dollars... i have a 93 4x2

Old 06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I have never had good luck with cheep tires. Do you wonder why they are selling them for 55 bucks?

Adrianspeeder

Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah Adrian, Goodyear Wranglers are horrible, cheap tires. Thanks for the help.

93, they're selling 235-75-15s for that price. I was really tempted to get a spare set as well, but I'd rather try to get some other things taken care of first. With road hazard, balancing and tax, I think I was out of there for $280. And they're really quiet, surprisingly so. Aggressive enough for my off-road farm ventures, but civilized enough for the interstate. NO whine at speed.

Red, the brakes are good. I replaced the front rotors and pads not a month ago, and I get straight, linear stopping with no shudder from hard spots (what the uninformed call 'warped rotors'). I inspected the rears at the same time, and while worn, they're still good to go, and the drums are straight. Bought shoes anyway, and will replace the drums when I do them in the near future.

I looked at the drivetrain today, to try and figure things out. The rear u-joint looks okay, and is tight. The front feels different, though. where the shaft enters the trans tailstock, there's definite slop. Can't quite determine if it's just spline-slop, or if it's a bad u-joint. But since the joints are cheap and easy (less than $25 at AutoZone for both joints - the grease-thru-bearing type) I bought two, and will replace them both and see what happens.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:36 AM
before i read your post, i was going to suggest looking at the u-joints... also when was the last front end alignment? even if you have the wheels balanced, if the alignment if off it will still cause a vibration and eat up tires. does the vibration happen only during acceleration and/or coasting, or just between the metioned speeds no matter what you are doing?

Old 06-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I can feel it somewhat at lower speed, but increases in relation to higher speed. At 65, it's REAL noticeable to everyone but the dead. At 75, it's gone...

I bought two u-joints at work today (AutoZone) on the chance that it might be one or both of them so I'll be changing them both out here real soon. The alignment (minus camber adj) was done a month or two ago, so I know that's not the problem - it didn't change afterward.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Wheel Bearings? Ball joints?
Jackk it up and see if there's any play.
Just my $0.02
Good Luck

Old 06-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Wheel bearings are good. I checked those early on. Ball joints - well, I know those need replacing because I have memory steer. I'm leaning toward the vibration originating in the driveshaft or further aft because I can feel it in my seat, and in the steering only by transfer from elsewhere in the truck. By the same token, I don't feel it at all in the brakes which at least in my mind lends credence to my theory.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:57 AM
The last thing you changed was the tires, right. Problem was not there until that happened. look at the tires again- take them in and have them re-balance them and you watch. If you asked for all the weights to go to the inside so you can't see them --they screwed it up. They probably screwed it up anyway. I had a set balanced 3 times and finally by the MANAGER until they were right! Were talking a 1/2 oz. to feel the difference.
Take them back!
Randy

Old 06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't know where you are, but you would be welcome to come try on my Michelin LTX AT's

The origional firestones rode like crap on every ford truck we have ever had, and these Michelins, albet pricey, ride perfect.

Do your rims look OK?

Adrianspeeder

Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm certain it isn't the tires, because I changed from almost new (bought in October) Cooper Discoverer ASTs to the Wranglers, and it lessened the vibration some. The Coopers were causing problems on their own, as 3 of 4 were exhibiting axial runout. I did watch the guy balance the Wranglers, he did a good job. The wheels don't look bent, I was looking for that.

Adrian, I'm in northern IL at the moment, but thanks for the kind offer. I appreciate it - say hi to my cousin Kelly for me, she lives in Harrisburg as well. I went from Michelins that were ozone-cracked to the Coopers (on my brother's recommendation, he's run Coopers on his Silverados for several years and love them). Shocks are new at all 4 corners. All of the above (and in the previous posts) taken into consideration is what has me leaning toward u-joints. I'll be able to change them out this w/e, hopefully I'll have a good report following.

Last edited by NewOldTruck; 06-28-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:32 AM
what kind of wranglers were they? some of them balance out like crap and some are usually pretty good. the rts and sra line usually arent to bad but the ats balance and ride like ****. (i work at a goodyear i should know)

Old 06-29-2005, 02:15 PM
hey me too! on the u joints that is. i think mine are going out too i have a wicked vibe at about 35-72 mph which is about 75 corrected for tire size. its horrible at about 72, it shakes so bad i cant see out the rear view mirror. funny thing is at about 80mph and over its smooth as a babys butt. the reason i suspect ujoints is when in reverse going slightly up hill up the driveway in the garage when i give it a little gas it makes a really loud and definite clicking noise that i think is coming from the rear diff. i also need to replace the front rotors and brakes and bearings and im thinking about changing out all the tie rod and draglink stuff too. how can i tell if the ball joints are bad? the spindle doesnt have any noticable play in it. thanks.
david

Old 06-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Dave, the balljoints are bad if there's up/down play, or if the steering won't re-center itself (memory steer) after turning a corner. Take the tie rod ends loose and check to see how tight the joints are by manually turning the front wheels to the left and right. Tight (overly-tight) joints will be very noticeable, and you'll know that they're bad, and are the cause of the memory steer issue.

Quick Reply: Okay, maybe it wasn't the tires