Pre-1997 Models

Does my engine have a primer?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does my engine have a primer?

I have 94 f150 4x4 with a 5.8L engine that sounds different for no more than five minutes after start up and when the AC is going in stop and go traffic. After those five minutes after start up when it is all warmed up the truck sounds like a nice v8. The same thing goes after I start going down the road with the AC on. The engine sounds like the fan is moving faster than normal, but that is not the case. That is the only way I can describe the sound. Someone told me that it is just the way the engine runs. I think that it is a primer of some sort to aid the engine after start up and with the AC. Is there anyway I can get rid of this sound without hindering the engine? Does anybody else have the same thing or know anybody who does? I am going to get an exhaust soon and I am hoping to be able to start the engine and rev it up after without this sound rather than getting one to hide it.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not real sure what you are saying, but one thing I can think of is that the only difference right at startup is the engine is on a closed loop cooling system for a few minutes.

Adrianspeeder

Old 06-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the fan clutch. If it is locked up, it will sound like an airplane. The blade should turn rather freely with the engine off. If you can't turn the blade, you need a new fan clutch.

Robbie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does my engine have a primer?