Pre-1997 Models

cooling system woes (this is reasonably long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cooling system woes (this is reasonably long)

I've had my '88 F-150 4x4 for about a year and a half. It has approximately 140,000 miles and the motor has never been apart.

In the past I've noticed that ever so often it will expel coolant at a spot behind the front axle. Not a great amount at any time and it won't do it all the time. I'll sometime notice the temp gauge edging towards the middle of the normal range. When that happens I put about a gallon of water, anti-freeze, or 50-50 mix in the radiator and the needle goes back to the low end of the spectrum. There is never any coolant in the overflow bottle.

About a week ago, I was ready to make about a 180 mile trip. I got down the road about 30 miles and the truck got hot. I shut it down, let it cool for about 15 minutes, filled the overflow bottle and started driving back. The truck ran fine and didn't overheat in that 30 miles.

I took it to the shop and the guy told me it had a blown head gasket and gave me an estimate for $1800. I would never pay that much for a blown head gasket when I can get a rebuilt motor installed in Dallas for $1650.

My father in law says his '89 has done much the same thing since he bought it with 86,000 miles on it and it now has 230,000. He says he carries a gallon of water with him. That is his solution and he is a mechanic.

There is no evidence of coolant in the oil. I changed it the day before I left and it still looks new and seems to be the consistency it should be. The old oil was black no signs of milky color.

Any input?

Last edited by tstjohn; 06-11-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Updates:

As I was taking the radiator cap off, the gasket split in about 3 places. I filled the radiator and started the truck. As I looked at the front of the engine, I could see a steady stream of water running down the front of the engine from towards the top. It appeared to be 2-3 inches to the passenger side of the water pump. I was looking at it from the front looking from right in front of the alternator. I will be replacing the radiator cop later this evening.

I also remember that as an afterthought the shop guy mentioned that it also had a "timing cover leak". That may not be exactly what he said, but I was thinking blown head gasket and $1800 and I don't guess I was paying as close attention as I should have.

input?

Old 06-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, to be completely sure about the head gasket you could run a chemical block test. Are you getting any white smoke out of your exhaust, or maybe a sweet smell?

Old 06-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Update II:

$7 radiator cap and $6 bottle of Bars Leak Heavy duty. followed label instructions, not overheat, no water running down front of engine or anywhere.

I know it's probably temporary, but the motor's not ready to rebuild yet and hopefully I've bought some more time. I don't see doing any kind of major repair at 140,000 without just rebuilding.

Thanks for all the input!

Todd.

Quick Reply: cooling system woes (this is reasonably long)