Pre-1997 Models

95 4.9 standard trans overheating and high idle

Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4.9 standard trans overheating and high idle

Hey y'all!

So my truck is doing what it does best: needing attention!
I just replaced my ECM about two months ago and everything was fine. Then I developed an oil leak. Sourced the leak to the valve cover gasket.
I just replaced the valve cover gasket and the oil leak has been solved!
However, no the truck has a high idle and wants to overheat when parked.
On the road she is responding just fine and on a cold start she idles high for a bit then evens out.
After being on the road and warming up she wants to overheat when standing still.
I know there could be a lot of causes for this but I'm curious if anyone has had similar issues.
I have to drive to and from work so I can't take an honest look at her till the weekend.
It is the EFI.
I didn't take the EGR off completely. Just unbolted it from the intake.
All vacuum lines went back to where they belong. I took pictures, made notes, and taped them to insure I wasn't a dumbass after a few beers.
TPS and IAC were reconnected properly but they may have collected some moisture while disconnected over night? Gonna clean them tonight when I'm done typing.
Valve cover was bolted down in correct sequence.
I did have to loosen the goose neck to get the valve cover off but that was tightened back down.
What am I missing?
Any and all help will be appreciated.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
If you unbolted the EGR valve and didnt plug the hole in the plenium, then you created a huge Vac leak that would account for the high idle, and possibly the overheating as the engine will be running super lean. I had similar overheating problems with my 96 4.9 and it was a multitude of things, I think my fan clutch is about shot, and the crankshaft pulley was slipping on the hub not properly turning the water pump, sounded like belts squeaking and squalling. during the time this was going on, I installed an electric fan in front of the A/C condenser controlled by a temp switch placed in an insert on the upper radiator hose. When I disconnect the electric fan and let it idle in the summer heat, the temp comes up fast, Plug it back in and it will idle at normal temp all day.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely plugged that vacuum line back in. Thanks though.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
did you re-bolt the EGR valve back in place? If not there is a big hole in the plenium.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 4.9 standard trans overheating and high idle