Pre-1997 Models

Which intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which intake?

I have a stock 5.0 truck and HO stang upper and lower intakes sitting around. I also have a stock 5.0 HO cam that I am going to be putting in my truck. Which intake do yall think would work better? The truck intake has longer runners than the stang does, but only 4 of the runners are really tall. The runners on the stang intake are smaller in diameter, so you would think that would increase the velocity of the airflow vs. the much larger and longer truck intake runners. If I ran the mustang intake I'd probably use one of those spacers to give me a little more runner length. But I really dont know which one is better.....does anyone have any experience???? I'd imagine the stang intake works better higher in the rpm range than its truck counterpart, and with an HO cam installed 2* advanced i'll have a powerband that pulls right up to the stock rev limiter at 5350rpm. Any help would be appreciated, the swap to the stang intake wouldnt be too bad, just need a few odds and ends, I have the TB, EGR, all that stuff, just need the throttle and cruise cables and a couple other things.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:19 PM
I'd vote for the truck intake, unless you'd consider popping for an Eddy. The ports are long and straight and flow pretty well (better yet if you can afford ExtrudeHone, but the Eddy is cheaper.) The two different lengths are functional; they provide peak volumetric efficiency at two slightly different RPM ranges giving a wider, flatter torque curve.

I question the HO cam though. It may not provide enough low to mid-range for a truck. You are wise to consider using an adjustable sprocket to advance it a couple of degrees. Just curious, why not a 2020 or 2030?

Last edited by StrangeRanger; 05-13-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Simply because the HO cam is free and sitting around at my house. I see many of the gen 1 lightning guys are using the HO cam and liking the results. I just want a little something more from the truck until I can put together a built engine. With the cam installed 2* advanced, I think the powerband will be pretty nice, plus I have a 2200 stall converter so that helps things out.

Last edited by beastie; 05-13-2005 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Which intake?