Pre-1997 Models

Starter Shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Shield

Can anyone tell me if the 1991 f150 with a 5.8 engine came with a starter shield?

Here is what is going on. My truck when its cold cranks fine. However when you run it for more then 20 minutes and you stop the engine and try to restart it hesitates when cranking. Now, I have replaced the old battery and put a 900 CCA battery. I have put in a new starter and it still keeps doing this.

Correct me if I am wrong but the seloniod is located on the starter and there isnt anything covering it from the engine heat. This is the reason why I am wondering if there is a shield that I am missing that I dont know about. Any help would be great. If you have pictures of such, that would be even better.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Check your wires and connections. Most times I've worked on vehicles for this problem it's been the battery wires are corroded under the insulation. Also clean the connections on the starter solenoid and the ground connection on the block. Also pull at least one bolt from the starter and clean it as well to be sure the starter is well grounded.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by cleat
Check your wires and connections. Most times I've worked on vehicles for this problem it's been the battery wires are corroded under the insulation. Also clean the connections on the starter solenoid and the ground connection on the block. Also pull at least one bolt from the starter and clean it as well to be sure the starter is well grounded.
Well the postive cable on the battery is new. The ground cable is not. I will give that a try. So what you are saying is that there is no shield on the starter?

Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 AM
my 94 5.0 has a ceramic heat sheild but your 5.8 ime not shure about you could allways hit the bone yard and check or maybe the 5.0 will fit your 5.8 or make one...

Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by colvin
my 94 5.0 has a ceramic heat sheild but your 5.8 ime not shure about you could allways hit the bone yard and check or maybe the 5.0 will fit your 5.8 or make one...
Yeap I am trying that the only problem with junk yards is that they take the rims of the trucks and set them on the ground.. There isnt enough clearance to get under them. THen if you ask them to get a forklift to lift the truck and put it on a stand they charge you for it. Thats why I am trying to see if anyone here knows for sure.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I went to oreilly.com and the 302 and 351 seems to have the same part number for the starter.The last starter i bought came with the heat shield that just snaps into place so if purchasing one you could go with either of them.However the last 351 i had had the same problem as your havin and it didnt have one on it but im not sayin that was my problem or yours but goodluck and let me know how it turns out...

Daniel

Old 05-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by daniel3312
I went to oreilly.com and the 302 and 351 seems to have the same part number for the starter.The last starter i bought came with the heat shield that just snaps into place so if purchasing one you could go with either of them.However the last 351 i had had the same problem as your havin and it didnt have one on it but im not sayin that was my problem or yours but goodluck and let me know how it turns out...

Daniel
Yea thanks Daniel. I am still looking for this information.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:11 PM
rickster that sucks, up here they weld two rims together, one laying down and the other standing on the one laying down and then set the cars on 4 of these (stands) it works great ..

Old 05-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by colvin
rickster that sucks, up here they weld two rims together, one laying down and the other standing on the one laying down and then set the cars on 4 of these (stands) it works great ..
Yea some places down here do the same but the one place I go to, which has the most trucks, has them on the ground like that.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey i was just lookin in my Haynes manual and the diagram of removal and installation shows the heat shield and says be certain the fit the starter shield back into place and this applys to 1980-1996 fords all the way to the 460 good luck man ive had that problem and know how annoying it is

Daniel

Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by daniel3312
Hey i was just lookin in my Haynes manual and the diagram of removal and installation shows the heat shield and says be certain the fit the starter shield back into place and this applys to 1980-1996 fords all the way to the 460 good luck man ive had that problem and know how annoying it is

Daniel
Thanks Daniel. I appreciate it. I think I will have to take a ride to another junk yard this weekend.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Alright now I am really confused. I called the dealership and they told me that they dont show a starter heat shield for that year???????????????????????????????????????? WTF

Old 05-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Rick man i dunno i dont know if its somethin that they include with replacement starters or whats up with that but i tell you this in 2000 i purchased a starter for my dads 93 with the 302 and it included one and when the starter went out a few months ago i exchanged it they asked me was the shield still good and i said yea and just kept the old one so now im not sure if one is included from the factory or if its something you get with replacement starters to try and extend the life of em........ I would suggest you call maybe a local autozone or any parts store and ask them about it. And if it would be of any help i can take a picture of the shield for ya......... Good Luck

Daniel

Old 10-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Brought an old thread back to top, I just replaced the starter on my 93 F150 and I forgot to re-install the heat shield, Is it needed? Looking at other posts I think it is, but I was wanting some opinions.

135,000 miles on that original starter, and yes I broke a bolt too (got lucky--one of the guys at work had a broken bolt kit).

Quick Reply: Starter Shield