Pre-1997 Models

Parking break does not work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking break does not work!!!

My parking break on my 90 ranger doesn't work, it will go down and stick, but the brakes won't lock up or hold the truck. The regular brakes work fine, but the parking brake won't work. Anyone have a similar problem with an older ford? Or have any idea on what i can do about it? It's a manual so i need this for parking on hills, like my driveway.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:17 PM
does your ranger have rear drum brakes? if so you might want to check them cuz that is where your parking brake actually locks up. hope that helps.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I believe so, front disc and rear drum or something like that.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:54 PM
there is an actual parking brake assembly that is inside the rear drum. you might to check that out make sure that it is working properly.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:38 PM
well my old ranger didnt have a working brake anyhow i just avoided hills but if ya gotta make a block that you can let your truck roll back on to stop it, this will let ya easily let out the clutch but still leave it in gear just in case i gives out

sry im a smoker

Old 04-21-2005, 11:07 PM
that's what i do with my truck in my driveway, i put wheel chocks behind the rear wheels and let it roll back on them, then i put it in gear. That way it doesn't put stress on the gears as much because it isn't relying on the tranny to hold it in place. I'll check the parking brake thing in the rear drums. I hope i can get it to work, it would be nice.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 PM
When I lived in MI I saw the parking brake freeze up on many cars for the following reasons: Few people used them, because they can freeze on in the winter, the salt used to remove snow would cause the mecanical parts to rust and seize up, it was mostly flat so there wasn't much need for parking brakes.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM
on an unrelated term i just got beat in a race by my brother 93 jeep its got a 4.0 HO and he just bought it
i think im gunna one up him and get some performance filters and whatnot
i dont think any ford should get beet by a jeep

Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by 74duster318
that's what i do with my truck in my driveway, i put wheel chocks behind the rear wheels and let it roll back on them, then i put it in gear. That way it doesn't put stress on the gears as much because it isn't relying on the tranny to hold it in place. I'll check the parking brake thing in the rear drums. I hope i can get it to work, it would be nice.
I go the other way, we have a steep driveway and I use the clutch to hold me before I put the parking brake on. Stress on the gears? Well don't drive then because that would "stress the gears". If you don't feel comfortable from reading a Hanes manual on the repair of a parking brake, get it to a shop pronto. You need it incase of an emergency failure driving down the road.

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by fordtough_k_w
on an unrelated term i just got beat in a race by my brother 93 jeep its got a 4.0 HO and he just bought it
i think im gunna one up him and get some performance filters and whatnot
i dont think any ford should get beet by a jeep
Define race...

What engine do you have, remember these are unaerodynamic TRUCKS, and unless you got mad displacement, get a sports car.

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by adrianspeeder
I go the other way, we have a steep driveway and I use the clutch to hold me before I put the parking brake on. Stress on the gears? Well don't drive then because that would "stress the gears". If you don't feel comfortable from reading a Hanes manual on the repair of a parking brake, get it to a shop pronto. You need it incase of an emergency failure driving down the road.

Adrianspeeder
Ok....unnecessary stress on gears and transmission....i think you get my point. I'll try to get ahold of a manual for it. I took the drums off and saw the parking brake cable thing inside. it works, but the cable is way too loose. i tigtened it somewhat, but it's harder than hell. I'll keep trying that, it should work.

Quick Reply: Parking break does not work!!!