Pre-1997 Models

'95 F150 4.9L V6 automatic -- fuel filter??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 F150 4.9L V6 automatic -- fuel filter??

i think i may need to replace the fuel filter? it will start fine, but when i take my foot off the brake to either go forward or reverse, it will start to stall and try to die on me. it is almost like i am drving a stick (mine is an automatic trans. though) and i am stalling it. i need to give it gas in order to keep it running. everytime i am at a stop sign or stop light, and try to start going again, it tries to die on me (so i give it some gas and wait for it to get back to normal). it is only a problem when i initially take my foot of the brake to start to move.

i never had this problem at all, then all of a sudden one day i went to drive it and it was there. and at the same exact time my speedometer also fluctuates around now. i dont see how the two would be related, but neither were problems before, and then all of a sudden they both started.

any ideas as to what this could be. thanks for any help!

Old 04-18-2005, 03:01 PM
The fuel filter would be an inexpensive and easy place to start. If it's been a while since you replaced it then it's a good idea to do it anyway. If you want to see if the overall problem is related to fuel I would suggest putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the pressure is dropping. This could indicate a bad check valve which is in the pump or possibly a bad regulator. If everything checks out with the fuel I would clean out the IAC valve or possibly replace it. This is the valve that controls the amount of air coming in to keep an idle and if it sticks you can have stalling issues like what you've described also.

Not sure why the speedo would be related

Last edited by OutCast; 04-18-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:09 PM
dont mean to sound like an a$$ or nothin but r u sure its a V6 and not a straight 6 ?

Old 04-18-2005, 05:25 PM
yea its a straight 6, sorry.

Quick Reply: '95 F150 4.9L V6 automatic -- fuel filter??