Pre-1997 Models

'92 Ford F-150 3.9 I-6....HELP!!!!

Old 04-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 Ford F-150 3.9 I-6....HELP!!!!

Ok, I was helping out a friend by doing a tune-up on his F-150- replacing the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and wires. I use the old cap and wires as a guide to install the new wires in the right spot. I get everything replaced and the truck starts and runs fine....for about 30 seconds. I look at the old cap and see I have the little vent going the opposite way on the new cap. As I flip the cap around, I realize I just ****ed myself because I didn't mark on the cap itself which wire went where, I only marked the wires. To top it off, the new rotor broke somehow Huh and I had to use the old rotor.

I try following the Chilton manual my buddy had, but that just seemed to make things worse. I tried using the firing order in the book, but it just didn't seem to match my memory of the configuration of this particular model year. And the fact the rotor was in a totally different spot @ TDC than what was in the book (not on the right spot, but not 180 out either.) So now my friend is stuck with a flooded engine and me not having any idea of how to route the ignition wires. If anyone has an actual Ford manual for this year truck, you would be a HUGE help if you could tell me the firing order of the ignition system. At the very least, wish me luck so this poor bastard doesn't get stuck having to tow this piece of **** to someone who's currently doing this work for a living.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer help.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Firing order on ALL I6 engines, regardless of brand or year:
1-5-3-6-2-4.

You broke the rotor because the cap was on wrong. You're going to have to look for the lug on the distributor body which fits the slot in the cap, it's really pretty simple.

The location of #1 is CRITICAL to the correct operation of the EFI; you cannot randomly pick a spot nor can you re-insert the distributor to match Chilton or some other reference which may or may not be right. #1 is usually marked on the cap. If it isn't pitch the thing in the trash and buy a Motorcraft cap and rotor

Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Got it fixed yesterday in about 20 minutes. The distributor doesn't have a lug or anything, but the mounts are different shapes (square on one side, round on the other). I matched the shapes and it fits perfect.

And I saw what I was doing wrong with the wires. I kept putting #1 one position off to the right. Got the wires on right and the truck fired right up!

Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '92 Ford F-150 3.9 I-6....HELP!!!!