Pre-1997 Models

Speedometer Cable Part Missing ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedometer Cable Part Missing ?

I just purchased an '86 F150 with an in-line 6 cylinder from my boss. It had been a ranch truck for the last several years and I am cleaning it up and getting it ready to be back on the road.

He told me the speedometer hadn't been working for years, and when I went to find out why I discovered that it had been disconnected at the transmission? (under the engine).

The problem is I can't seem to figure out how it goes back in there. There is a metal cable with a metal "knot" at the end, and a second metal bit that spins inside. (This piece is square and about 1 1/4 ' inches long.)

I can find the place under the engine where this cable should go; it is a hole in the side of the transmission, I think. But it doesn't seem to want to "snap in" like it should. The cable and the hole it should go into seem to be two different sizes.

My boss also told me that the transmission has been replaced with one with different gearing, so I assume that is the reason why I can't get the cable to fit inside. But I want to make sure because it's possible there is some intermediary or "transitionary" piece that is missing that might allow the cable to fit properly.

If not, is there some kind of "aftermarket" way of getting my speedometer cable to fit ?

Could I buy another cable that will fit into the transmission, and if so, is the other end (where it attaches to the speedometer itself) "standard" ?

How "screwed up" is this situation ?

Also, even if I can get a cable to connect from the transmission to the speedometer, will the speedometer be accurate ? If not, is it possible to adjust it ?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Billy Brethren

Last edited by Billy Brethren; 03-29-2005 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Bump

I spent some time searching for an automotive forum before posting this question. It appeared this forum had a larger participation than most, yet I have had no response to my question. Am I in the right place ? Is there a better place to post this question ?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 AM
F150online
Founder
This site is primarily intended for and comprised of 1997-present model F150 owners. You may want to try a site like http://www.ford-trucks.com for earlier models.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks

Went to the link you posted for "Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums" and it seemed perfect. Found lots of posts with trucks around my same model/year and it seems to be large enough so that I have a good chance of getting help.

Thanks for the referral.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:36 PM
The end of the cable that goes into the transmission should have a plastic gear on it. I am guessing it doesn't, so that would be what you need to get. It goes into the transmission.....you will find the hole if you keep looking.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Plastic Gear

On the "Transmission" (a large lump of metal behind the engine) there is a hole with a rectangular clip (@ 1" x 1/2") over it, held fast by a small bolt.

This clip LOOKS like it should retain the cable, and when I remove it, an assembly comes out that has a plasting gear on the end. It looks like this gear goes up against a worm gear.

The problem is that the cable that I have hanging loose in the general area will not fit properly into this hole, either with the clip on or off. I am thinking the cable is designed for the original transmission, which is why it won't fit properly.

People change-out transmissions all the time. How do they handle circumstances like this? Are all speedometer cables the same at the "guage end" and so will my problem be solved if I buy a cable that fits the transmission ?

Old 03-29-2005, 06:08 PM
LOL, sometimes they just leave the speedo not working as you see there! The cable you have should go into that "assembly" you pulled out of the transmission and once istalled the gear will turn the cable, unless you have the incorrect parts of which the hole might not be the right size. There may be a little clip that you need to mess with to get the cable to slide into the connector that may contain the vehicle speed sensor as part of the assembly, but does contain the speedo gear. If the transmission isn't correct, you will also need to hunt down the right speedo gear to get your gauges to work right...another hassle but ford racing has a bunch of them available for you to order.

If you have the factory transmission, you probably have the correct parts. If the transmission isn't factory you may have to hunt down the right parts.....fun fun!

Quick Reply: Speedometer Cable Part Missing ?