Pre-1997 Models

Advice on 1985 F150 300I6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on 1985 F150 300I6?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so I figure I'll hit the ground running. Did a few searches but didn't come up with much. So here are some questions for you F150 nuts to go to town on--

I'm in the market for a new car and found this beautiful 1985 F150 stepside with the stock 300 I6 and auto tranny. It's at a used car lot with 130,000 mi on it, and they're asking $2800 financed, $2300 cash. I'm thinking I can probably fenagle them down to $2000 cash. The engine starts right up and lags only minimally for short time cold (normal for carburated engines, correct?). It revs nice and strong, and sounds smooth. It's pretty much rust-free, the paint is pristine (yellow with white on the cab and white F O R D in huge letters on the tailgate and some brown pinstriping), and the wheels/tires appear pretty new. The interior needs updating, which if I got the truck would be an enjoyable project.

So, I was hoping those of you with experience with these engines could tell me what to look for on this truck and how to evaluate it. Also, what are the main things that go wrong with these engines/trannies? From what research I've done so far, the 300 seems to have a really good reputation for dependability and longevity. Do they actually reach 250-300k? Yikes. Any information you all have on this would be greatly appreciated. If the truck sounds like a bum deal, definitely say so. I plan on taking it for a test drive this weekend, and if it runs well and the suspension/breaks and what not check out, I'm going to get a little more serious about buying it.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 AM
the 300 six di hards will correct me, I'm sure of that, any how I have never been a fan of the 300 six...thier a good engine for torque, but your never going any where in a hurry...

If your looking for a daily driver the 300 six will go for ever if it was looked after and you set the price, not the dealer, if the trucks body is soild and lacking the typica ford rust, I would expect you have a good truck.

Maintance on the six is stright forward, they (Ford) have not done a lot to them over the years, sine the 60's at least. ( until efi)

I don't know if ford put a C6 automatic behind the 300 6, or a C4 (Pinto tranny) but if your potental truck has a C6 and a nine inch rear diff, your gonna have to work hard to abuse this truck...basicly builet proof. I would offer $1500.00, thier is not much demand for ford stright 6s.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:38 AM
I have a 1986 Ford E-150 van with the 300 inline 6 cylinder. The main problem I have had with it is the TFI (Thick Film Iginition, I think it's called)....the ignition module on mine would last about 1 to 1-1/2 years then go out with no notice whatsoever.
A new module is about $40. The last module I bought was a Borg-Warner module and has lasted over 2 1/2 years this time. Ford had a class suit against them for this.
However, the 300 inline 6 was what Ford recommended for towing/pulling. My van is just a cargo van but it is heavy. It can't get out of it's own way, guzzles gas like no tomorrow BUT it PULLS like you wouldn't believe! I've pulled my boat out of the water at the boat ramp when guys next door would be burnin' their tires up...that 300 inline 6 would just grunt and squat and do the job every time, no problem. If you want something to pull or tow with, I recommend it highly.

GradyJ

Old 03-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I test drove it yesterday and it runs strong and drives smooth. Steering is feather touch, brakes work well, and the dealer says the engine was rebuilt about 1 1/2 yrs ago. The things I've heard horror stories about (loose carb, cooling system, bad ignition) have all been replaced with aftermarket parts. It's got a remanufactured Holley 1 bbl (which I'd probably replace with a 2 or 4 bbl w/appropriate intake), a brand spankin new aluminum radiator, and new ignition (I'd probably get an MSD box at some point anyway). Only issues seem to be a few wiring kinks -- brake lights don't come on and turn signals don't flash (but hazards do, so maybe the problem's in the steering column somewhere), but dealer says he was going to get that taken care of at some point anyway. The parking brake pedal is detached and there is a small raisin-sized rust hole in the driver's side floorpan. The more I look at the truck the reasons not to get it seem to decrease, but I'd still appreciate any mention of possible red flags I should pay attention to. Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: Advice on 1985 F150 300I6?